Birthday meal

Options
I am going out for a birthday meal tomorrow night, Chinese all you can eat. Anyone give any suggestions for lower in calorie options. Tia. X

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You should enjoy your birthday, but if you really want to keep the calories under control, limit rice/noodles...avoid breaded meats, egg rolls, and anything fried...load up on veggie stir fry and lean meats.

As a side note, Chinese food is very high in sodium, so you may retain water and see a jump on the scale in the next few days. Don't panic...it will go away.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    A lot of different cuisines fall under that header. Agree with veggie stirfry. Steamed spring rolls/egg rolls (as opposed to fried) are good choices.

And check this out: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/the-11-healthiest-options-at-chinese-restaurants.html
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to stay within your calorie limit, eat at maintenance or test out "all you can eat"?

Watch portion sizes on rice or noodles or skip them.
    Vegetables are good choices. Soups are probably lower calorie.
    Dishes that are fried, breaded, coated in sugary sauces or contain nuts/seeds will be higher calorie.
    Look up nutritional info online. Even if it isn't for that restaurant you can get an idea what the calorie count of certain dishes is likely to be.

If you just want to eat without considering calories you will not doom yourself but be aware that you will probably have a very high sodium meal and will likely retain water. Don't get upset. Just go back to normal eating and it will come off.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'd have some chicken cashew and plain rice, and a taste of other people's this and that, and enjoy it as a pretty sedate splurge. Oh and have a cocktail. Happy birthday!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Just a warning: Restaurant Chinese food is LOADED with sodium. Expect to put on 2-3 lbs (at least) of water weight. It won't mean you've blown your diet; it just means you need do drink more water to get the sodium out of your system.

Me, I wouldn't worry about calories for just one day.