Toe cramps

Options
I've had a problem with toe cramps (so bad one of my toes involuntarily crosses over the other). Years ago, when I was fitter and eating healthier (drinking lots of water, not much alcohol, eating a balanced mix of carbs-fats-protein, etc), I had this problem only when out surfing. For me, surfing in the gulf coast involved a lot of walking out through chest deep water, then jumping on to paddle out. The toe thing would hit after an hour or so and only while walking back out to the lineup (such as it was). I thought it had something to do with standing around in salt water for an hour.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm 20lbs heavier. I recently started working out more (2 days a week -> 5 days, slightly more intensity as well) and eating differently (lots of water and not much alcohol again though). The toe-twister cramps have come back twice in the last week. I added salt to my water and ate half a banana to get to bed the first time. The second time, I added salt to my water again and started taking a calcium-magnesium supplement at mid-day. I'm also adding spinach to my smoothies more now to get some food-based magnesium. It hasn't come back in the last couple days, but I'd rather not add salt to my water everyday.

Anyone else with a similar issue? Any ideas about other things to experiment with to help keep this from coming back?

I've only had regular water today and I can feel my toe threatening to act up right now....

Replies

• SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I've gotten similar issues before which I can't entirely explain...the worst being...a cramp in my lat. That is a bad feeling and it's difficult to stretch to relieve it. I've had cramps in my feet as well. I've attributed it to dehydration but it could be something like a lack of potassium or who knows? I don't think it would be lack of salt in my own case as I'm sure I get plenty (probably too much) of it. I've been meaning to start taking a multi-vitamin on a regular basis as well. Perhaps that could help with this sort of issue.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey three years ago I would get terrible cramps.....my toes, shins, calves, bottom off feet, tops of feet..
    ....just the craziest places. I would feel them starting and there was nothing I could do to stop once they'd began. Sometimes they'd bring me to tears with pain and/or frustration. I tried more potassium and I tried drinking more water. Nothing seemed to help. All I knew was that if I worked out that day, sure as anything I'd get cramps that evening/night. So I started doing stretches. Every evening before bed I'd spend 30-45 minutes just doing stretches while watching TV. I did that for a year at least. Now I only do them a couple of times a week and I can't remember the last time I had a cramp.

It might help you. It might not. All I know is that it was the only thing that worked for me.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    That is the pits! My mom gets horrible leg cramps but not toe cramps. She does not get them if she only has one glass of wine before dinner instead of two or three and drinks less coffee and more water throughout the day. Thats her though, not sure if that advice would help you. Good luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Maybe it has to do with your feet needing extra support? Muscle cramps in the feet often signal over use, but since most of us have been walking since we were little a toe cramp would signal that you are having to overcompensate for something. Appropriate arch support or heel support could improve the toe cramps.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would get these if my sugar went too high or too low when I was experiencing gestational diabetes. So, perhaps you are on to something with suspecting a mineral imbalance somewhere.

Now, I experience cramps similar to that if I become dehydrated after a workout, and don't properly hydrate before going to bed. It's interesting how our bodies respond to different changes. Good luck to you!
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I get them if I walk flat footed for too long, especially in the house (hardwoods). My Dr. prescribed self PT. I do certain exercises (which by the way are the exact opposite of what I was trying on my own :-)). It also keeps my plantar fasciitis at bay. Maybe ask a Dr. especially one that doesn't lean towards medication (first).
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Increase your banana levels. That always helps me.

Also, it sounds weird but i've always found it to be true, if I *think* about a cramp too much while it's happening, then it's going to keep coming at me in waves. I have to think about something else or it will never end. I believe it has something to do with misalignment of my chaka khans, if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I get this!! It drives me nuts, I particularly get it when I'm training at TKD, or otherwise barefoot. Weirdly, the only thing that seems to stop it is putting on flipflops.
  • V_Faery
    V_Faery Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    I've had a problem with toe cramps (so bad one of my toes involuntarily crosses over the other). Years ago, when I was fitter and eating healthier (drinking lots of water, not much alcohol, eating a balanced mix of carbs-fats-protein, etc), I had this problem only when out surfing. For me, surfing in the gulf coast involved a lot of walking out through chest deep water, then jumping on to paddle out. The toe thing would hit after an hour or so and only while walking back out to the lineup (such as it was). I thought it had something to do with standing around in salt water for an hour.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm 20lbs heavier. I recently started working out more (2 days a week -> 5 days, slightly more intensity as well) and eating differently (lots of water and not much alcohol again though). The toe-twister cramps have come back twice in the last week. I added salt to my water and ate half a banana to get to bed the first time. The second time, I added salt to my water again and started taking a calcium-magnesium supplement at mid-day. I'm also adding spinach to my smoothies more now to get some food-based magnesium. It hasn't come back in the last couple days, but I'd rather not add salt to my water everyday.

Anyone else with a similar issue? Any ideas about other things to experiment with to help keep this from coming back?

I've only had regular water today and I can feel my toe threatening to act up right now....

I get them sometimes standing while waiting for the train, it's the worst. I've noticed the more active I get the worse they become and forget it if I'm lying down and turn the wrong way, it goes from toes to straight calf cramp -worse pain ever!! That being said my doctor told me to start having tonic waiter- this has quinine ( might be spelling wrong) so on some nights I have diet tonic water and it helps.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I get cramps like that, usually after working out hard, in my sciatica-affected leg. Hurts like a mofo. I don't know which of these things it is, but it's less common when I:

Remember my mineral tablets (Mg,K, Ca).

Eat bananas.

Hydrate.

Stretch my feet before and after. Crouch on my toes, and lean forward onto my hands, so that my toes and feet stretch.

Stretch my hamstrings. Pigeon yoga pose.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Magnesium?
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all these great ideas! I've got a plan of attack ready for this week:
    • I'm pretty hydrated most days (>2L of water everyday), but I need to stay on top of that or things will probably get worse.
    • I work out hard M,W,F in the early morning (starts at 5am), so I'm going to add half a banana to my recovery smoothie on those days.
    • I'm also going to add toe stretching into my yoga routine and stop slacking off on doing that routine everyday. :) I try to do 20 minutes of a hip opening series (including hamstring work, half-pigeon, and my new fav, double pigeon!) everyday, but I usually slack off and it happens 2-3 times a week. I'll be more vigilant this week and see if that helps.
    • Keep taking my new K/Mg/Zn supplement at lunch everyday.

I'm actually supposed to keep my sodium intake high (I have low BP and adding salt to everything keeps me off meds). I use himalayan sea salt because it usually has more magnesium and other trace minerals (though it's not iodized). I just don't like drinking salt water very much, so I'm going to cut that out and see if the other things can keep the cramps away.

Thanks all!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all these great ideas! I've got a plan of attack ready for this week:
    • I'm pretty hydrated most days (>2L of water everyday), but I need to stay on top of that or things will probably get worse.
    • I work out hard M,W,F in the early morning (starts at 5am), so I'm going to add half a banana to my recovery smoothie on those days.
    • I'm also going to add toe stretching into my yoga routine and stop slacking off on doing that routine everyday. :) I try to do 20 minutes of a hip opening series (including hamstring work, half-pigeon, and my new fav, double pigeon!) everyday, but I usually slack off and it happens 2-3 times a week. I'll be more vigilant this week and see if that helps.
    • Keep taking my new K/Mg/Zn supplement at lunch everyday.

I'm actually supposed to keep my sodium intake high (I have low BP and adding salt to everything keeps me off meds). I use himalayan sea salt because it usually has more magnesium and other trace minerals (though it's not iodized). I just don't like drinking salt water very much, so I'm going to cut that out and see if the other things can keep the cramps away.

Thanks all!

FYI: the additional minerals in himalayan salt (just like sea salt) are so minimal that you need to eat 2 cups a day to get any benefit. Unfortunately, 2 cups a day will kill you.

Since the cramps are in your toes only, it sounds like a stretching thing more than a dietary thing. Do you wear a variety of heel heights overall? High heels and the pressure they put on the balls of the feet often cause toe cramps.

Cramps coming after exercise can also be from low potassium, but it is more likely going to happen in the large muscles.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

FYI: the additional minerals in himalayan salt (just like sea salt) are so minimal that you need to eat 2 cups a day to get any benefit. Unfortunately, 2 cups a day will kill you.
    Well yeah, but it's pretty in the jar in my kitchen. :) I don't even like pink, but for some reason, it seems more pleasant to eat the pink stuff than the white stuff.

I'm not expecting to get much out of my salt other than flavor, so I'm probably just using the minerals thing as an excuse to keep eating the salt that seems to be tastier in my cooking and looks prettier in my kitchen. I do need to step up my spinach intake to try to get more whole food minerals and nutrients and I've started a Ca/Mg/Zn supplement because I know I'm never going to actually get what i need from food. Speaking of, I should probably also get back on my Fe supplement since I tend to get anemic when dieting...
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Since the cramps are in your toes only, it sounds like a stretching thing more than a dietary thing. Do you wear a variety of heel heights overall? High heels and the pressure they put on the balls of the feet often cause toe cramps.

I'm lucky - I work from home. I wear the same minimalist running shoes I've used for 5 years (well, the same brand for 5 years, not the same shoes) or I'm barefoot most of the time. On the rare occasion that I'm traveling for work, I wear high heels and don't notice any difference, but I'm only wearing them on average 8hrs/month. I'm definitely making the stretching a priority this week to see if that helps.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Well yeah, but it's pretty in the jar in my kitchen. :) I don't even like pink, but for some reason, it seems more pleasant to eat the pink stuff than the white stuff.

I'm not expecting to get much out of my salt other than flavor, so I'm probably just using the minerals thing as an excuse to keep eating the salt that seems to be tastier in my cooking and looks prettier in my kitchen. I do need to step up my spinach intake to try to get more whole food minerals and nutrients and I've started a Ca/Mg/Zn supplement because I know I'm never going to actually get what i need from food. Speaking of, I should probably also get back on my Fe supplement since I tend to get anemic when dieting...

Looks and taste are the best reasons to use something other than table salt. I am partial to Malden salt because I like the crunch.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,847 Member
    Options
    Here's my situation ...

When I cycle after work, my feet cramp ... mainly the toes, and yes, they stack on top of each other.

During the day at work, and especially in the afternoon, I take tums for the calcium, I eat a banana for the potassium, I salt my lunch and have a small crackers and cheese just before we head out, and I drink a lot of water.

And yet ... cramp.

But, when I cycle on the weekends, my feet are fine.

Puzzling.

I take magnesium every day.

I've debated about the following:

-- circulation issues. Yes, I've got circulation issues, but wouldn't that affect my feet every day?
    -- during the week I wear slight heels. On the weekends I wear bare feet before my rides.
    -- during the week I walk and climb stairs before my rides. On the weekends, I just ride.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 - Do you have a desk job? I find that when I sit for long periods and then exercise, I get them. For me, it's long car rides before the workout. I don't know if a warm-up type walk would be enough to resolve it for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,847 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    @Machka9 - Do you have a desk job? I find that when I sit for long periods and then exercise, I get them. For me, it's long car rides before the workout. I don't know if a warm-up type walk would be enough to resolve it for me.

I do have a desk job but ...

I walk as part of my commute on my way to work, I walk at lunch, I get up and climb stairs mid-morning and again mid-afternoon. And then I walk a short distance to where my husband picks me up to go riding ... or I walk as part of my commute home.

So I've usually put in 25 flights of stairs and up to about 5 km of walking by the time I go cycling during the week.

I have wondered if my feet are tired, and have cut down the number of flights of stairs I climb on the days I plan to ride and that does seem to have helped a little bit.