How exactly do you gain weight?

Options
Allthingsglitter
Allthingsglitter Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
How much would you have to eat over time to gain say like 5 pounds?

I know it doesn't happen overnight, but say I am 5'2 weigh 110, TDEE of 1,449 and I eat 2,000 calories per day. I don't exercise at all. Would I be gaining weight? since I am eating more than my BMR? Or would I just be maintaining my weight?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You have to eat more than your TDEE not your BMR. So calculate your TDEE and eat more than that and you'll gain weight. If you eat at your TDEE you will maintain.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    BMR is for being in a coma.

Are you in a coma?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    BMR is for being in a coma.

Are you in a coma?

In.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Ballpark figure is 3500 calories over TDEE = 1lb gain.

Things to note -

(1) that's a BALLPARK figure.
    (2) that's relative to TDEE, not BMR. BMR shouldn't really be in any of these conversations.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Anyway, 1 lb of fat = about 3,500 calories in excess of what you burn. 5 lb = 17,500 calories. That's on top of what you actually use to be alive, and then what you use if you got out of bed today.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Put your correct stats and goals into your MFP profile. It will give you a calorie goal. Eat that, plus log your exercise and eat those calories too. Easy peasy.

I would guess that aiming to gain one-half lb per week would be the best choice, but that's really up to you :drinker:

And just to highlight whats already been said...
    BMR is how many calories your body burns at complete rest, like if you stayed in bed all day.
    BMR plus your normal everyday activity is your NEAT. That's what MFP uses.
    NEAT plus your scheduled exercise is your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I don't know other do it, but for me?

bo5c528poyli.jpg

:blush:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I consistently eat over my TDEE over a long period of time. How quickly you gain 5 lbs will depend on how much over your TDEE you go.
    For example, from Sept to March I was aiming for 1lb gain per month (so about 125 cals over TDEE per day), from Mar-May I am kicking it up and going to about 2lb per month (250 cals over per day), so total gained should be about 10lbs over 8 months.

Beautiful.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you eat 100 calories too many, every day for a year, you will gain about 10 lbs
    100 cals x 365 days=36500 calories extra.
    36500/3500=10.42 lbs.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I gain weight when I get lazy and stop logging my food. I have to have a visual reminder of what I have eaten. I love food too dang much.