sore legs

Options
Hi guys
finally started strength training and I am slowly starting to love it ! One little issue though : I train my legs on Mondays and Friday and my abs on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
This is my first week training and I had no problem working out my abs twice a week.
However , when it came to my legs , I couldn't do the exercise routine on Friday because my legs were still hurting from Monday.
What should I do ??

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Just walk around. Legs are the LARGEST muscles in your body so it makes sense it feels like the biggest soreness when you start training and are unconditioned to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You only work abs and legs?
  • JustDoIt987
    JustDoIt987 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just walk around. Legs are the LARGEST muscles in your body so it makes sense it feels like the biggest soreness when you start training and are unconditioned to do it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So should I workout my legs once a week for now ?
  • JustDoIt987
    Options

yes because I am just starting strength training as I used to hate it
    I am just starting by working on the spots I'd like to tone and not focus on other body parts which do not bother me like biceps etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No. 2+ times a week is great. Usually the more frequently you work them the less they get sore, assuming smart training.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

actually, less volume/weight and more frequency might help you to stay on top of the doms.

I am just starting by working on the spots I'd like to tone and not focus on other body parts which do not bother me like biceps etc.

i'm not a trainer, but hopefully someone who is can chime in as well. meanwhile: from what you said it sounds like you're doing a 'split' routine -one major body zone at a time. afaik that's more of an experienced lifter's approach.

it might work better to look into some of the new-lifter programmes such as starting strength or stronglifts, instead. those ones have you schedule by lift, instead of by body part. they're a good way to ease your entire body into the experience of strength training.

hope you keep loving it!

• TavistockToad
    Options

It doesn't work like that...
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on non leg days . I think it helps with the soreness. Also I take BCAA recovery drinks daily and I 200% feel a difference in soreness when I forget them. They really speed up my recovery time
  • JustDoIt987
    Options

Then how does it work :) ?
  • JustDoIt987
    Options

actually, less volume/weight and more frequency might help you to stay on top of the doms.

i'm not a trainer, but hopefully someone who is can chime in as well. meanwhile: from what you said it sounds like you're doing a 'split' routine -one major body zone at a time. afaik that's more of an experienced lifter's approach.

it might work better to look into some of the new-lifter programmes such as starting strength or stronglifts, instead. those ones have you schedule by lift, instead of by body part. they're a good way to ease your entire body into the experience of strength training.

hope you keep loving it!

That is helpful and great advice. However , i dont have access to a gym so I cant follow those programmes :(
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use bromelain. It does have a noticeable effect
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I'm always sore after leg day. No matter how often I train. It's always been that way for me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    That is helpful and great advice. However , i dont have access to a gym so I cant follow those programmes :(

that's a shame. i'm speaking as an amateur lifter, but from having started out with stronglifts myself, i do think that breaking your leg workout up into two smaller sessions might help them to deal with the soreness better. when you're brand new, it's partly about just getting your body used to the idea that this is what normal is going to be like from now on. so if you wait a whole week between times, that's like mixing your messages.

i would divide your monday volume across the extra days though. don't try to do monday three times a week :tongue:

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

That's like the opposite of those bros who only work their upper body and walk around on stork legs. I'm trying to imagine what this would look like after a year of working abs and legs and leaving everything else alone. ;) Interesting...

I could never leave out my upper body (or really any major group.) I love the way it looks and feels to work those areas.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Then how does it work :) ?

You can't spot reduce so just working a couple of muscle groups will leave you imbalanced and not getting as good a workout as you would if you did full body.