planking pain

Options
I get a lot of pain in my back when planking, mostly between the shoulder blades and small of my back even when my knees are on floor. I've done them in fitness classes and never been
Corrected. Could it just be a lack of strength?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not stabilizing your shoulder blades or lats and putting all the weight on your elbows. Try tensing the muscles in your back and chest so that the support for your arms is coming from the mid back rather than the elbows. You also have to engage the abdominal muscles.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In addition to the good tips above, I've found that if I feel lower back pain during a plank, I'm usually letting my lower back and butt sag. If I raise them just a tad, the pain usually goes away. You might mention this problem to the instructor and ask for feedback on your form.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    squeezing your glutes like a nutcase also helps to stabilize your pelvis and lower back. i mention this because i'm embarrassed to say how long it was before i realised planks aren't just about the side of you facing the floor.
  • rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The tip I've been given that always helps me get the right posture is to try & pull my belly button into my spine. Which helps me engage my abs and straighten my back.