I started drinking slim fast I was wondering if it helped anybody

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jEsSiE2350 wrote: »
    I have a really hard time with my weight so i just started slim fast has it help anybody whit the meal replacements shakes

The only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit, and that can be done with real food instead of Slimfast shakes. In fact, the word "Slimfast" is just a silly sales gimmick to get people to buy their product.

The shakes will work only if you stay in a calorie deficit, so why use the shakes at all? Just plan out your meals, weigh your food, log everything you eat, stay in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I did a medically supervised ultra low calorie liquid diet back in 1988. I gained it all back within a few months. Same with every other "magic solution" I've tried. I'll occasionally have a smoothie or a protein bar instead of a meal if I'm running late, but using something like Slimfast as a regular meal replacement isn't teaching you anything about portion control, food choices, or CICO.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried slim fast, but I've tried other brands of protein shakes and bars. They are handy in the morning after I've used my bike for an hour and don't have time when i'm travelling to work for a sit-down breakfast.
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That stuff is not really better than over-processed junk food.

Make some vegetable soup with chili. You can have decent quantities and it's much better for you.

I had a slim fast shake once and it was not very nice and did not even keep me full. Eat some proper food. :)
  • ChefAlexis
    ChefAlexis Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been on SlimFast since March 6th. So far I've lost 8lbs. I'm planning on phasing out of it the last day of April....but I will continue controlling my calorie intake AND I think I'm going to continue with one shake a day for breakfast.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i know someone drinking it she is losing weight each week but
    she really could do the same just cutting down a little of her normal food.
    she has heard of mfp but torture seems to be easier and more expensive.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Some people will drink a protein shake for breakfast instead of eating. I don't think I have ever heard anyone call that torture. Is there a whole lot of difference than if someone chose to drink a Slimfast or some other meal replacement?

OP...on occasion I will buy a few shakes such as Slimfast. I don't like to eat until at least after 10 in the morning. If I know that I am not having access to food at that time I will drink a shake. If I have time I make my own shake if not then I will grab a premade bottle out of the frig.

I personally couldn't replace 2 meals with Slimfast on a regular basis but I could probably replace my breakfast with one. Each person is different so it might work for you. You can always try for a few days and see how it goes. If it doesn't work then you can always change.

As far as cost goes...some protein powders get fairly expensive and that is why I don't use it on a regular basis. How you spend your money however is your choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Remember...there is no harm in trying it...you can always do something different if it doesn't work. I certainly have tried a lot of different things before I have finally settled in to what works for me (at least for now).
  • barn1223
    barn1223 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist recommend Premier Protien for me. You can get it at Walmart. I get the carmel flavor, it's really good and has 30 grams of protien in it , which keeps me full for hours.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My aunt loves it and has lost weight on it but for me. I just could not give up solid food. I just don't like wasting the calories
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had a liquid diet for a couple weeks before bariatric surgery and was on full liquids a few weeks after. I was miserable.

It's monotonous, has no chew factor, and left me too weak to exercise. I did lose weight.

I knew it was for a limited time so I made a list of foods I was going to enjoy when it was all over.

I need variety so I much prefer to meal plan, organizing my meals around the chosen protein for the day.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Some people will drink a protein shake for breakfast instead of eating. I don't think I have ever heard anyone call that torture. Is there a whole lot of difference than if someone chose to drink a Slimfast or some other meal replacement?

OP...on occasion I will buy a few shakes such as Slimfast. I don't like to eat until at least after 10 in the morning. If I know that I am not having access to food at that time I will drink a shake. If I have time I make my own shake if not then I will grab a premade bottle out of the frig.

I personally couldn't replace 2 meals with Slimfast on a regular basis but I could probably replace my breakfast with one. Each person is different so it might work for you. You can always try for a few days and see how it goes. If it doesn't work then you can always change.

As far as cost goes...some protein powders get fairly expensive and that is why I don't use it on a regular basis. How you spend your money however is your choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Remember...there is no harm in trying it...you can always do something different if it doesn't work. I certainly have tried a lot of different things before I have finally settled in to what works for me (at least for now).

I certainly can drink a protein shake now and then but will be eating it with a banana as the shake alone would leave me hungry. To try and replace two of my meals with shakes yes would be torture.

I suspect but cant be too sure but that might be the reason you couldnt replace 2 meals with slimfast?
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My mom had a Slimfast shake for breakfast and or lunch from about 1990-2001 (or longer, I moved out in 2001 so I stopped keeping track of what she ate LOL). She was able to successfully maintain her weight for literally YEARS drinking Slimfast. I don't think Slimfast was the ONLY reason she maintained it was just a tool she used that she loved because of the taste.

I drink IdealShakes on the occasional busy weekend morning. I usually have it with Almond Milk, berries or banana, or PB2 if I'm having a chocolaty shake. I don't think they keep me full for longer than if I were to have eaten a 'real meal' but, they are nice to have on hand for when I'm super busy.