time off workouts - how long until you loose fitness level

Options
So, this is just a curiosity question. After you stop an exercise, how long does it take for your body to become deconditioned?

I have a NASTY cold that I can now feel settling in my chest. Bronchitis? Heading to the doctor on Monday. I did a short and easy run on Thursday when I had just a little sore throat and congestion. I skipped my run on Friday because the cough started. I am now going to have to skip my yoga class this afternoon and my runs for the next week or two -- if this really is a lung infection.

I am currently following a half marathon training program. Should I step back my training the first week back? How much?

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Take the rest you need to get better. Don't worry about losing training days. It happens. Life happens. Better to train in a healthy state and get the most out of your runs than to train when sick.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Also, you don't know if it's an infection. You may not need two weeks off. And I would just jump back to where you are on the plan.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Depends. One of first PT instructors mentioned in regards to strength training as little as three days. That, seems absurd. It really depends on the level of conditioning. We're talking about running, as well. On average my personal experience it's more like 10-14 days.

There's an adage with regards to illness: symptoms above the shoulders-- run; symptoms below the shoulders-- no run. For me it's the opposite-- especailly regarding the relationship between CV exercise and hstamine mitigators.

If lung congestion is just starting then it's not an infection, yet. If guaifenesin and dextromethorphan doesn't help in 4-7 days, THEN suspect infection. Start guaifenesin and dextromethorphan (I prefer the sugar free syrup) forthwith.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The "fitness vs freshness" chart in training peaks is meant to answer this question on a personal basis.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    You start losing some fitness in 3-4 days. After a week off, expect to take about 2 weeks to get back to where you were pre-illness. Still, it's better to get well rather than force yourself when you are really sick because that will make the illness last longer and could turn a cold into bronchitis or pneumonia.

I also have a cold. Because I am training for a race that is coming soon, I kept running even after the cold had moved into my chest. It made the coughing much much worse. Instead of having a cold that lasted 5-6 days, I'm now almost two weeks in, and still coughing. I'd have done better to rest at the beginning.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    For me i see loss in about 5 days or so
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb, you will lose your conditioning/strength at half the rate it took you to gain it.