Treadmill Help?

Options
JessicaMcB
JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
So I recently killed my treadmill [Horizon CT5.1 for reference] and desperately need it replaced for marathon training/my sanity. My husband is ready to drop huge money on buying brand new but I would honestly rather he spend his bonus money primarily on himself/the kids so I've been scouring the local BST.

So there are two out there, though one does have a potential buyer ahead of me. The one I could potentially purchase right away is a Precor which is generally a good brand from my research and the seller is the second owner (claiming it has seen very few miles from either owner). Here's the rub, the model is a 1996 so parts would be hard to come by. On the other hand it's $150 versus the 4-5k we'd spend on new.

WWYD?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We had a Precor that just died after 10 years. It was good but there's no way I'd spend $150 on 20+ year old treadmill.
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Here's the rub, the model is a 1996 so parts would be hard to come by. On the other hand it's $150 versus the 4-5k we'd spend on new.

I have an old (1990s) ProForm treadmill and I can still get parts for mine.
    You can get parts from https://www.treadmilldoctor.com

At $150, I'd say that's a good bargain providing you can test it out. If it runs quiet enough for your needs, and all the controls work while you test it, then you may do well. Inspect the power cord for frays and good connection. Squirt some silicon spray under the running belt to give it new life.

After all these years, my treadmill running belt is just now starting to wear out and I can get a replacement belt for about $100. The running belt was starting to slip a little and after opening it up, I discovered the motor drive belt had loosened up. After tightening the drive belt, it's running like the day I bought it. In my opinion, at $150, you can run it to failure and still come out waaaaaay ahead!

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Precor was, is nearly ubiquitous. I'm certain parts, if need be could be had. Check with the manufacturer just in case? I have experience with one other brand: Landice. I never thought something relatively cheap could handle the abuse.

If it were really me, if I couldn't run outside due to inclement weather, I'd get a one-two month Y membership and use theirs.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    We had a Precor that just died after 10 years. It was good but there's no way I'd spend $150 on 20+ year old treadmill.

Yeah realizing my little sister is only two years older than the treadmill had me cringing a little. Glad to hear you have done well by Precor though, thanks!
    Fizbi wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Here's the rub, the model is a 1996 so parts would be hard to come by. On the other hand it's $150 versus the 4-5k we'd spend on new.

I have an old (1990s) ProForm treadmill and I can still get parts for mine.
    You can get parts from https://www.treadmilldoctor.com

At $150, I'd say that's a good bargain providing you can test it out. If it runs quiet enough for your needs, and all the controls work while you test it, then you may do well. Inspect the power cord for frays and good connection. Squirt some silicon spray under the running belt to give it new life.

After all these years, my treadmill running belt is just now starting to wear out and I can get a replacement belt for about $100. The running belt was starting to slip a little and after opening it up, I discovered the motor drive belt had loosened up. After tightening the drive belt, it's running like the day I bought it. In my opinion, at $150, you can run it to failure and still come out waaaaaay ahead!

No stranger to lubing belts here, the Horizon squawked at you to lube it every 150 miles so it was getting silicon once or twice a month.

Relative cost is why I am entertaining it. My last mill cost me $75 in July and I just killed it in March so about 8 months but I absolutely used the hell out of it logging 200-250km+ /month on it and Horizons are a cheap treadmill brand to start. My husband is saying, "Buy it and then I'll still buy the new one because you know you'll destroy the old one inside of a year anyway." which isn't helping lol.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    Precor was, is nearly ubiquitous. I'm certain parts, if need be could be had. Check with the manufacturer just in case? I have experience with one other brand: Landice. I never thought something relatively cheap could handle the abuse.

If it were really me, if I couldn't run outside due to inclement weather, I'd get a one-two month Y membership and use theirs.

I wish this was an option. Tiny town with no Y or gyms with childcare and my husband is always gone for work. Treadmill in the basement is the only way I can train when he's OOT :(
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am not buying used equipment to do any of my 1/2 marathon training let alone a whole marathon. This a no for me.
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have bookmarked this discussion. Please let us know how it works out.

I'm always shopping for a new treadmill just in case mine suddenly fails.
    I went to Amazon to check prices and of course, the cheapest ones bubble to the surface. I'm in favor of wider running belts and super quiet operation. Even the expensive commercial grade machines can arrive DOA (reading the Amazon reviews). It's a tough call deciding between new and used equipment.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    My 10+ year old TM got wonky last fall and I finally replaced it after Christmas. I got a Nordictrack at Sears. It's a good one, with a wider and longer belt than my previous one, with a lot more preprogrammed runs on it. It cost about $1000. I expect it will last me several years. If you are doing a lot of your training on a TM, then I think it's better to get as good a one as you can afford. If you run on your TM instead of walking, you need a better motor than if you are just walking.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    Will do @Fizbi ! @spiriteagle99 that is an insane price on a Nordic Track, everywhere I have looked (Canada) is asking upwards of 3k. Will check in with Sears as I hadn't thought to check there
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    Well I just checked Sears' website and they for whatever reason are ridiculously undercutting the distributor we were ready to go with. We will definitely be buying new through Sears, thank you so much for the suggestion @spiriteagle99 - A1 advice!