New direction diet exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    A major medical institution allows slightly overweight people into their weight lose program? You should be eating at least 1200 as you said yourself your bmr is 1200 so if you measure and log correctly you will lose weight. Shocked at doctors who would approve of non obese people being in a program for obese and morbidly obese people.

the BMI criteria for this program is 30...or 27 with medical issues...

https://www.jcmg.org/new-direction-a-medically-supervised-very-low-calorie-diet-vlcd/
  • Learning63
    Learning63 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't need to share my medical issues but I'm good guys. Thanks for the internet doctoring.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    A major medical institution allows slightly overweight people into their weight lose program? You should be eating at least 1200 as you said yourself your bmr is 1200 so if you measure and log correctly you will lose weight. Shocked at doctors who would approve of non obese people being in a program for obese and morbidly obese people.

Unfortunately many general practitioners and out-patient surgeons are getting into bariatrics or marketing their offices as weight-loss centers because it's a money maker. They have no more nutrition education than any other doctor and somehow are able to sleep at night despite putting clients through diet programs that should only be last-resort type options to counteract morbidity. I guess they figure if their program causes poor nutrition related symptoms or screws up someones metabolism long term they can treat that too. :(

ETA: This is not a critique of all bariatric surgeons or even weight loss clinics, there are some morbidly obese patients who need to use possibly dangerous methods in an attempt to save their life or health.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    there is nothing about ONLY 1-1.5lbs - 2lbs a week is the recommended weight loss if you have 100+lbs to lose...

you don't think maybe that the continued low calories has resulted in apative thermogensis; coupled with the rise in leptin and cortisol that both contribute to weight loss...
  • Learning63
    Options
    there is nothing about ONLY 1-1.5lbs - 2lbs a week is the recommended weight loss if you have 100+lbs to lose...

you don't think maybe that the continued low calories has resulted in apative thermogensis; coupled with the rise in leptin and cortisol that both contribute to weight loss...

Sounds like the scientific explanation for what happened to some of the biggest loser contestants is that what you mean? If so I am worried about that & ask the doctors. Getting my BMR done on the machine at theend of the program also & hoping my situation isn’t worse with the number of calories I can consume. I didn’t really feel like what I was doing on my own was working & felt I needed help.

What kind of diet do you do?
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    i don't diet - i fuel my body for the physical activity that i put it though - so at 5'3", 150lbs - I maintain on 2700cal a day

I hugely underate for years (in the 12-1400 range) and wondered why I couldn't lose weight and my athletic performance suffered - now that I work in someone who has a PhD in nutrition and the other a PhD in exercise physiology - i'm doing much better

any doctor telling you you need to eat under your BMR is an idiot - BMR is the surviving with no activity; any kind of daily activity (not including purposeful workouts) increase that BMR (NEAT) and then add any workout calories into that and you get your TDEE
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Learning63 wrote: »

Remember I’m in a unique position to know exactly how many calories I take in & how many lbs I lose so what you think “should” happen doesn’t necessarily happen. Logging my New Directions program + 1,200 BMR still results in only l - 1.5 lbs lost a week so something is hard for my body. Apparently my excercise deficit is around 3,500. That’s what it seems to me. Tells me to do maintenance I will have to be militant with calories & remember to try to exercise

Unless you have over 50 lbs or so to lose,1.5 lbs per week is aggressive. 1 lb per week is usually the most someone should expect to lose if they are in the "overweight" range. And most people who have 15 lbs or less to lose should expect more like half a lb per week, and even that not consistently. What you are trying to do should be hard for your body. The longer you push your body to lose quickly, the harder it is going to be to maintain when you hit goal weight.
  • Learning63
    Options

Unless you have over 50 lbs or so to lose,1.5 lbs per week is aggressive. 1 lb per week is usually the most someone should expect to lose if they are in the "overweight" range. And most people who have 15 lbs or less to lose should expect more like half a lb per week, and even that not consistently. What you are trying to do should be hard for your body. The longer you push your body to lose quickly, the harder it is going to be to maintain when you hit goal weight. [/quote]

In what ways / why will it be harder to do maintenance? Because I’m lowering my BMR? I’m assuming my doctors will tell me to stop the diet if I’m in any danger while I do this. I want to lose consistently that’s why I like this program. I’m was frustrated on my own. I’m a weight watchers lifetime member so I hope to get back into that when I lose all my weight to help with maintenance. I do remember losing more than 1lb a week on WW but I was younger. Didn’t even have as much weight to lose as I do now.

I like hearing different perspectives that’s why I have continued in this thread but I don’t believe my doctors are going to have me do something bad for me I do trust them it isn’t a fly by night weight loss clinic.

I’m getting the nutrition I need and haven’t had any side effects to my knowledge.

What I’m doing is far from dangerous.
This discussion has been closed.