Pounds not coming off only inches , why?!?!

Options
Hi, I do fitbody bootcamp which is high intensity interval training for 30 min 5 days a week. I have lost 3 inches in almost a month but I've only lost 1.4 pounds! I'm eating clean meals high protein low car with one cheat meal a week and even that is portion controlled.

Replies

• kim808skittles
    kim808skittles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just used to pounds going down and inches coming down together
  • fantumrunner
    fantumrunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Are you doing your own measuring or is that part of the boot camp?
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You did not mention how much you are eating. Are you eating at a calorie deficit, or just eating "clean"? If you don't maintain a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight, no matter how clean you eat and no matter how much you exercise.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    You did not mention how much you are eating. Are you eating at a calorie deficit, or just eating "clean"? If you don't maintain a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight, no matter how clean you eat and no matter how much you exercise.

She's losing inches which, means she's losing weight & thus, she's consuming at; a caloric deficit!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

When weight of things is compared, equal volume is implied. Always. If you didn't know this now you do.

• DeficitDuchess
    edited March 2017
    Options

She's losing inches which, means she's losing weight & thus, she's consuming at; a caloric deficit!

Ummm @DeficitDuchess... I'm not sure where you are coming from with this. Did you read the title of the thread and her post? She is specifically asking why she is losing inches but not weight (and 1.4 pounds is not enough to represent 3 inches).

If the 3 inches is from her belly, the answer is that her muscles are getting toned although she isn't losing much fat. That leads to a tighter, leaner-looking belly, even without weight loss.

There're many reasons why someone's weight loss might not, be reflected upon the scale especially with; being a woman! Many times, I don't gain any; inches (sometimes 1") but'll gain 5 pounds of, water retention & blood generation via, my monthly cycle & thus that might be, masking some; weight loss! Plus sodium, etc.!
  • kim808skittles
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I am being measured weekly by my coaches at the bootcamp ,
  • kim808skittles
    Options

Yes I do have a caloric deficit 90% of the time
  • kim808skittles
    Options

Ummm @DeficitDuchess... I'm not sure where you are coming from with this. Did you read the title of the thread and her post? She is specifically asking why she is losing inches but not weight (and 1.4 pounds is not enough to represent 3 inches).

If the 3 inches is from her belly, the answer is that her muscles are getting toned although she isn't losing much fat. That leads to a tighter, leaner-looking belly, even without weight loss.

Yes it is from my waist .
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

lol. she's not gaining sizable amounts of muscle in one month in a calorie deficit doing bootcamps - I can promise you that!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

No it doesn't, a pound of muscle & a pound of fat're each still; a pound!

Oh for goodness's sake - that is purely pedantic.

Muscle is more dense than fat, so a smaller volume of muscle will weigh the same as a larger volume of fat - so inches can come off as far is burned and muscle is built up without much change on the scales.

To the OP - great job! It sounds like you are building muscle and getting results!

Not in a month....

OP, most likely water retention due up your cycle or sodium, or from your new exercise routine. Keep it up!
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited March 2017
    Options

No it doesn't, a pound of muscle & a pound of fat're each still; a pound!

Oh for goodness's sake - that is purely pedantic.

Muscle is more dense than fat, so a smaller volume of muscle will weigh the same as a larger volume of fat - so inches can come off as far is burned and muscle is built up without much change on the scales.

To the OP - great job! It sounds like you are building muscle and getting results!

Building muscle, takes calories; for fuel! I am unable to, build a Lego house without; plastic lol! :D