Options
1 barbell that weighs 7kg
x4 10kg plates
x2 5kg plates
x2 2kg
x2 1kg

12kg kettle bell
8kg kettle bell

I'm *planning* to start lifting again but have been procrastinating for some reason.

I used to deadlift about 1.5 bodyweight and squat about 1.2 bodyweight.

(5'3'' woman 54-56kg then and now)

I think now I could only 1RM about bodyweight for deadlift and maybe only 40kg for squat, however no squat rack so need to be able to clean whatever I squat. Also no weight bench.

I'm a bit of a sook about starting at the beginning again and a little uninspired.

Any suggestions for a good 1st week plan to kick things off, using the equipment listed above?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Weight benches are overrated for beginners. Use an ottoman. Depending on what kind of floor you are working with olympic lifts could be done, just don't break your floor dropping them.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Not a 'beginner' if you read the post, just restarting after a few years off.

Concrete garage floor with rubber impact mats. Even still I'd rather not throw down my weights.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I know you have lifted before, but not sure if you have a programme to re-start with. If you don't give the thread (below) a read through. If nothing else it may inspire you to start again. I too am a terrible procrastinator. :)
    The 5x5 programmes are popular and will help you get your strength up quite quickly. Personally I like the AllPro which progresses with reps before weight (I lift alone so like the comfort factor). You may find it useful as you have a limited amount of equipment and this may extend the time you can use it without having to upgrade.

Accepting that starting again at a lower weight may be hard, but it is better than not starting at all.

Cheers, h.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    @middlehaitch - thanks for the link, I will have a closer look at some of the programs.

I do pay for a gym membership that I barely use, so there is room to progress if (when?) I outgrow my home equipment but I'm more comfortable at home on my own!

Just need to get my finger out and make a start ...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear you on getting the finger out @lizery. I went on a trip in the new year and am so dreading getting back in the gym and dropping my weights I have been procrastinating for 3 weeks.
    Now I have 9 weeks before I am off travelling again for 2 month. Finger out or my little roast potato arms will turn into mashed potato.

We just have to do a big gulp and get serious.

Cheers, h.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    @sijomial of course you're absolutely right.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    @sijomial of course you're absolutely right.

I thought my response might get one of two reactions.....
    • Butt hurt that some random stranger said JFDI.
    • Or actual butt hurt (DOMS) tomorrow from getting back under the bar.

Please make it the second option. :smiley:

PS - The reward of restarting is that you can make rapid progress, just like being a newbie again but with better technique.

• blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    30 mins will quickly grow to longer workouts once you put time aside.
    Good luck