Night time snacking

Options
Hi! I eat clean high protein low carb diet throughout the day with no problem, BUT after dinner when I'm watching TV is when I start snacking! Any suggestion on how to combat this? (Besides going to bed)

Replies

• kim808skittles
    kim808skittles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great ideas ! I do try to eat dinner around 7:30-8:00 too because I know I'm
    Most hungriest at night. My macros are 25%carbs 40% fat and 35% protein.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    According to your food diary, you are hardly eating any food. I would be starving! 1200 is the lowest MFP will allow, and it's recommended only if you are elderly, inactive, short, and don't have much to lose. If you do choose to go the 1200 route, you have to be extremely disciplined so you don't risk malnutrition, fatigue, burnout - which is the most reliable recipe for binges and regain.

This is what I would recommend:
    Set your macros to allow for better nutritional balance. Increase fat on the expense of protein. You don't have much wiggle room on 1200 calories. Consider upping your calories.

Stop snacking altogether, or if you choose to snack, eat real food. You can't "afford" anything that is not food on a 1200 calorie diet.

Log everything and hit your calorie goal every day.

Drop "clean" from your food vocabulary. There is no such thing.

Drop the protein shakes and bars. Eat real food instead.

Get into a routine of eating proper meals. 3 meals a day is fine. A proper meal consists of a source of protein, some fat, and vegetables. Have a source of starch with most or all meals. Have different things for each meal and different things from day to day. 1-3 pieces of fruit per day is also great.
  • p_fitnesslife
    p_fitnesslife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, but really I eat anything the healthy that fit my macro for the day.
  • kim808skittles
    kim808skittles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you! I was told that I should bE eating six small meals a day to keep my metabolism going. I drink my protein shake after my daily workout . I've been avoiding fruit because of the carbs. Not eating enough during the day is probably why i snack so much at night and it's all junk food.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you! I was told that I should bE eating six small meals a day to keep my metabolism going. I drink my protein shake after my daily workout . I've been avoiding fruit because of the carbs. Not eating enough during the day is probably why i snack so much at night and it's all junk food.

Your metabolism is going constantly - if it didn't, you'd be dead. You don't need to constantly feed it...

I was hungry/hangry eating 6-7 meals a day. Now I have 2-3, they're substantial meals not little snacks, and I'm so much more satisfied and satiated. Meal timing is largely irrelevant - work out an eating schedule and macro split that works for you! No need to chug protein shakes or eat as soon as you leave the gym - you might find you'll reach your protein requirement fine without them!
  • Zara_Pi
    Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Your metabolism is going constantly - if it didn't, you'd be dead. You don't need to constantly feed it...

I was hungry/hangry eating 6-7 meals a day. Now I have 2-3, they're substantial meals not little snacks, and I'm so much more satisfied and satiated. Meal timing is largely irrelevant - work out an eating schedule and macro split that works for you! No need to chug protein shakes or eat as soon as you leave the gym - you might find you'll reach your protein requirement fine without them!

For some having small meals a day helps.
    But for me this was a nightmare and I would find myself constantly eating.

Past two days, i have been having a coffee for breakfast, and have my first meal late afternoon (between 4-6pm).
    I have found eating later in the day helps reduce my constant need for snacking.
    This means I can have a good meal that also fills me up with enough calories left to eat again.

Then if there's something "naughty" I fancy, (like nachos and cheese or cheesecake) I have plenty of calories left over to enjoy this both in the taste sense and without the guilt.

I have also reduced my carbs and increased my protein intake.
    Since I've started logging my food, I realised I was getting about 20-40g of protein a day! So I went shopping yesterday and bought food high in protein, like salmon, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt.
    I had a gorgeous meal yesterday that was high in protein and only 320 calories, and it kept me feeling full for 2-3 hours.