Vegetarians- protein?

Options
jnomadica
jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
I'm finding it tough to get enough protein. I can get almost 90 grams when I really work at it, though that's far less than 1gram per pound (I'm 137) that I've seen recommended for maintaining muscle mass. Are any of you vegetarians doing it without supplements? Can you give me a sample diet? Or should I just buy some protein powder? TIA!

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I just found it much easier to get EAS protein powder. I simply add it to my oatmeal in the mornings and that's a quick 30g at breakfast.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a mostly vegetarian diet since my spouse is vegetarian bordering on going vegan. I use protein powder/protein bar to get the added protein. I add it to my oatmeal in the mornings. If I have a smoothie, I add some protein powder there as well. There is a good protein brownie recipe that has bananas, unsweetened cocoa powder, protein powder and peanut butter. So many different ways to fit it in.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Greens and grains and legumes. I get plenty from plants alone!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Eat tofu, tempeh, seitan and beans. You don't need a ton of protein though tbh. If you want to add more just make a protein smoothie. Pretty easy under 200 calories
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Black beans, cheese, eggs, peanut butter, yogurt... lots of good, satisfying options!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jnomadica wrote: »
    I'm finding it tough to get enough protein. I can get almost 90 grams when I really work at it, though that's far less than 1gram per pound (I'm 137) that I've seen recommended for maintaining muscle mass.

1 g per lb is more than necessary. Generally its .8-1 g per lb of LBM for muscle maintenance/building, or a safe estimate, .65-.8 g/lb.

Good source: https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Beans, legumes and leafy greens!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a well balanced diet and still can't meet your protein needs without highly processed products/supplements, then it's highly likely that your protein goal itself is exagerrated. Protein powder sellers want you to believe your muscles will fall off if you don't eat 1g/lb (2.2g/KG) or more. And this number has become the 'rule of thumb' and repeated over and over.

Meanwhile, the Intl Olympic Comm, IOC, says 1.2-1.6g/KG (0.5-0.7g/lb) of ideal weight is sufficient for their athletes. Do you really think your protein needs exceed those of an olympic athlete?

The WHO says 0.83g/KG (0.37g/lb) is adequate for 97.5% of humans to maintain nitrogen balance.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Interesting! That makes me feel better- 137 grams of protein seemed impossible.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lots beans in salads and soups or burritos. Plain Greek yogurt and frozen fruit. And I also a use a vegan protein powder for those days I didn't quite get enough. Oh and I also just recently discovered tofu.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat much and do fine with protein. I aim for 60g because I'm prone to kidney stones. Most of mine is from dairy and eggs, but it also comes from beans and the small amounts that are in vegetables.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Pea protein is your friend.
  • lolo_bunny
    lolo_bunny Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Beans, lentils, tofu, greens, hemp hearts, chia seeds help me reach my protein goal. I do include dairy so that helps too. Haven't needed a protein powder to supplement.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat between 40-90 grams a day as a vegetarian. I just listen to my body and eat more protein on extra hungry days. I doubt if you need as much protein as you think you do unless you are a bodybuilder or something.
  • VeganSarah0323
    VeganSarah0323 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm Vegan, but I tend to get around 100 grams a day. Nuts, almond butter, edamame, vegan chocolate shakeolgy, no cow protein bars, spinach, broccoli, oatmeal, boca vegan burgers. Hope that helps! Good luck:)
  • goldie19876
    goldie19876 Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Have you tried chlorella?
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I saw protein powder at Trader Joe's today, it was made from peas. I took a mental note of it when I saw it there. I have no idea if it has a taste, but but it's worth looking into?
  • Jennifer1Gore
    Jennifer1Gore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ❤ Seitan ❤
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    EllaLeahB wrote: »
    I saw protein powder at Trader Joe's today, it was made from peas. I took a mental note of it when I saw it there. I have no idea if it has a taste, but but it's worth looking into?

I'd go whey over pea. Unless you're vegan... Even then, I'd go for a blend. Vegan protein powders don't always have the best texture though..
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but recently I've been eating more meat free days than usual. I typically eat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, beans, dairy and seeds. I've also found meat alternatives like Beyond Meat and Gardein which are plant based and have great macros especially protein. I also use protein powders for quick breakfasts and to boost desserts (in yogurt or cottage cheese). And I have a goal of 144g protein daily which I usually hit.