Chad Waterbury question

Options
So, just wondering cuz I was doing some reading... often I see that people say 40-60 rep range is perfect for hypertrophy, but reading around on the web chad Waterbury says frequent training is best but not to go past 35 reps for one exercise. Why would he suggest limiting it to 35 when so many others say 40-60 reps?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own pet theories on this.

My thoughts? Try everything once, repeat that which gives the best results.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't pay much attention to the 'rules' I follow a program designed to do what I want it to do and go from there. Most of my exercises seem to fall in the 8-12 range (so 24-36 total). But I tend to do a variety of rep ranges on different days ex. heavier deadlifts one day vs light high rep another day...

Some of my glute stuff can even go up to 50 reps per set.. so it will depend on my goals, the program, the muscle worked, the exercise, volume, frequency, rest, tension.... as you can tell, there are so many variables that come into play here
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Try everything, see what works, do it till it stops working and repeat.

3 years ago I got the best shoulder development from heavy presses however in recent times, they have responded far better to lower weights and high volume isolation moves.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Perhaps 40-60 is the reps per bodypart and 35 reps is for individual exercises.

I'd prefer to do 3 sets of bench and 3 sets of flys than 6 sets of bench.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I was curious...
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the recommendations on volume by Mike Israetel?

10 sets per body part per week minimum, as well as maximum adaptive volume and maximum recoverable volume.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »

10 sets per body part per week minimum, as well as maximum adaptive volume and maximum recoverable volume.

Here's the article for those interested:

https://renaissanceperiodization.com/training-volume-landmarks-muscle-growth/
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    pbryd wrote: »

Here's the article for those interested:

https://renaissanceperiodization.com/training-volume-landmarks-muscle-growth/

Interesting read. Thanks.