Alcohol struggles

Options
So basically I gained some weight back because of alcohol. Over the last few months I've been drinking heavily everyday/every other day. Alcohol is the biggest obstacle for me.

Anyways, I'm ready to cut back on alcohol and get serious about losing this weight. I'm cutting down to drinking once a week, then ultimately to once a month. I'm looking for friends who have similar goals/struggles to keep eachother motivated :)

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I'd go without food before I'd go without alcohol! I keep my to once a week now! I still need to cut back because the amount of calories in it! That's what keeps me motivated though! Knowing it's such high calorie and i want to lose weight! The only advice I can offer is workout more and go to bed early so you don't think about it! Also i find i cant workout properly the next day so i have a set day where i drink as much as i want and don't need to go gym because I've been so much the week before! Good luck though!
  • danmiller1985
    danmiller1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well i wish i could stop drinking but its just to hard. So I'm cutting down week by week an so far so good. Just going to drink 1 night a week (sat)
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have not used the app, but I use the website online. Best of luck :-) x
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Quitting or at least cutting back is difficult. Society has made just about every event revolve around alcohol. I was in your shoes. I eventually took a look at myself and decided I didn't need to drink heavily regularly any more because it just isn't healthy. This doesn't mean I don't drink (I still have a glass or 2 of wine per week, but I weigh it out and log it), but I found I like the results I get when I abstain and I'm actually proud of myself when I do avoid it. Its hard, but feel free to friend if you need support!
  • danmiller1985
    danmiller1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Danika, I tried downloading HelloSundayMorning's app but it wouldn't let me. But I did download a different app sobertime which is very helpful, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm with you Danmiller, I'm sticking to once a week (sundays) that's always been my drinking night but somehow I let it get out of control. I'm focusing on my calories and working out ...putting my mind to more positve things :)

Thanks Tropical_Dreams honestly cut back to one night of drinking an you'll be fine. I'll make my drinking night a sunday as well we'll drink together..lol..
  • CountryGirl11812
    CountryGirl11812 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cut back to drinking once a week/every other week. I don't know what you prefer to drink but I was drinking any low proof liquor with regular redbull or tropical redbull. I researched and decided to try someone's advice. Now I drink higher proof liquor and sugar free redbull. So far since making this change, drinking hasn't effected my weight loss progress
  • CountryGirl11812
    CountryGirl11812 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am also VERY careful of what I eat two days before I plan to drink and do extra exercise. Best of luck ;)
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel you, hun. I LOVE drunk eating when the mood strikes. I can polish off much more and its even more fun.

BUT there are major calorie consequences and the next morning you are FEELING IT
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I've learned that I can't drink just once a week. I've been bindge drinking all week. When it comes to alcohol, it's all or nothing for me.

I've decided the only way for me is to quit for good. So, tomorrow I am quitting. I'm going to polish off my bottle of tequila tonight (there's just enough for one last night of drinking) I was thinking of just dumping the booze..but I figured it needs a proper goodbye. I've obviously developed an unhealthy relationship with alcohol..and cutting all ties is the only way for me to move forward. It's going to be super hard but so worth it.

Good for you!

You'll never regret not drinking the night before. You can do it - the first couple weeks are uncomfortable. Stay busy. I ate a lot more sweets when I first quit drinking, but there was also a lot more room for those calories.

You've got this. There are sobriety forums out there that are really good, too - if you just want to see what to expect and how to make it work in today's alcohol-saturated world. :)

There are also podcasts about sobriety, some good ones.

• danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Good for you for making the decision. Definitely consider signing up to www.hellosundaymorning.com. I have found it so helpful to have a place to share my thoughts and feelings through the process!
  • mayxellen
    mayxellen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Completely feel you pain here! I do 12 hour shifts and when I come home a glass of wine it's the best feeling ever. Which is fine, but when I drink I snack.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I've learned that I can't drink just once a week. I can't just have 1 or 2 drinks and be done. I've been bindge drinking all week. When it comes to alcohol, it's all or nothing for me.

I've decided the only way for me is to quit for good. So, tomorrow I am quitting. I'm going to polish off my bottle of tequila tonight (there's just enough for one last night of drinking) I was thinking of just dumping the booze..but I figured it needs a proper goodbye. I've obviously developed an unhealthy relationship with alcohol..and cutting all ties is the only way for me to move forward. It's going to be super hard but so worth it.

In my opinion just dump it. That's what I did, I had a whole bottle of Wine left and I poured it down the drain and never looked back. I have never been happier with any decision in my life, it feels so good to know you hold the power and nothing and no one else. Good luck, I promise you won't regret it :smiley:
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I've learned that I can't drink just once a week. I can't just have 1 or 2 drinks and be done. I've been bindge drinking all week. When it comes to alcohol, it's all or nothing for me.

I'm so glad for you and it's a big thing to even recognise you have a negative relationship with alcohol. I stopped drinking a couple of months ago when I reAlised the same thing. I was using it as a crutch instead of digging deep and using my own inner strength to get through things. It's something you'll never regret... It's like being born again...more energy, better mood....better eating habits and I can't tell you how good it is to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about what you might have said and to who the night before lol xxx