Losing weight with kids

Options
Hey everyone. What techniques do you use to keep your portion lower in calories while making sure your kids are getting enough calories when making family meals?

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If your kids are of a healthy weight, you likely don't have to do anything to THEIR portions. Just focus on YOUR portions.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Take less for yourself and give them more.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Take less for yourself and give them more.

This. Same meals, different portions. Though I still eat more than my daughter.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cook special diet foods. Just watch your portion size. You still need to make sure your diet is balanced too.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dd is my height but weighs much less. She pretty much eats to her hunger level. She eats about the same amount as me and her father at meals. She drinks more milk, juice, etc and has higher calorie snacks than me probably. I assume she is getting the right amount of calories as she is not losing weight or dramatically gaining.
    I prelog my food for the day and eat the amount that fits my goals. If I need to have a smaller portion of something I may put more vegetables on my plate or have a salad with my meal. I may skip stuff like rice or bread while dh and dd have those things with their meal.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I tend to make dinners that have a protein, normally in the form of meat, a carb like potato or quinoa, normally 2 veggie options and I make sure that one is something my kids like (like my boys don't like brussel sprouts but love peas) and sometimes a fruit.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Incidentally I never had problems feeding my children- the have eaten a whole foods diet since solids introduction. Nothing needed to change for them (especially where two of my children are technically underweight)- Mommy was the one who needed to stop eating like she didn't have a clue.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    how does how much food you give THEM affect how much food you give YOURSELF?

oh wait ... it doesn't.

:/
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have always modified my portion. If I make tacos, I usually will use lettuce wraps for myself or skip the cheese/guac. I just made spaghetti and meatballs with salad and breadsticks and ate zoodles myself with some leftover shrimp and skipped the salad and bread. Everyone in my family, including me, is at a healthy weight. I don't make a big deal about my swap outs and it rarely gets any notice.