What do you think of Tabata?

Options
vienna_h
vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
What is your opinion on Tabata style training? (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off) Is it effective?

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I want to die whenever I do it. Therefore I like it.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Incredibly effective. I do it on a spin bike: 10 seconds standing sprint on high resistance, 10 seconds sit sprint on the same high resistance, 10 second low resistance recovery, repeated 6-8 times. It is horrible.

I am the worst runner. When I was in my best shape, I could only run at a 5.5 on the treadmill and that was a stretch. Then I gained 40 lbs, making me almost 100 lbs overweight. I started doing spin class and tabata with no running whatsoever. After a few weeks, I decided to try running on the treadmill and found myself running miles at a 6.2 effortlessly! 40lbs heavier and hadnt run in like a year and I was beating my previous record by a long shot and feeling great. Spinning helped but I credit the huge increase in cardio ability to tabata for sure.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to High Intensity Interval Training, except it seems like it would be less effective. The point of high intensity training is to give all the energy you have for 30 seconds to a minute, and then rest until your heart rate comes all the way back down, usually at least 2 to 3 minutes of rest. You need this rest time so that you can go all out for the next interval. 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off seems ineffective
  • 808haoleboy
    808haoleboy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    torture. Lots of fun.
    Do it with...
    -body weight squats
    -push ups
    -pull ups
    -dips
    -chin ups
    -mountain climbers
    -hand stand push ups
    -sprints
    -suicides
    -etc, etc, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Tabata works, but most people only go about 80% effort.

True Tabata should be 100% effort for the 4 minutes. Should be gasping for air, struggling to breathe and basically rolling over dead at the end. This way VO2 max is increased.

It's effective, but more for fitness than weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it! I'm working on building muscle, and getting more fit rather than losing weight per se. It's working fantastically for me!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Too much MSG. Gives me a headache.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use it when i have my physio appoinment,excercises its great with low weights :)