Increase in calories - right amount?

Options
I have been maintaining st 1400 for a while. Increased a bit to 1450 ish. Then, decided to take s plunge and see what I can do with lifting and wasting a bit more. I have set my calories to 1590. Is this increase too drastic from 1400? I'd like to minimize fat gain as much as possible. All the calculators put my tdee between 1400- 1700 so I am within range but higher than I have been used to.

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Fine tuning the right calories for your goal is, in my experience, a matter of trial and error. Moving from 1,450 to 1,590 is a very reasonable increase. Just pay attention to your weight and measurements over the next few weeks and use that feedback to determine if you should stay at that level, increase or decrease.
  • f_l_y_n_n_
    f_l_y_n_n_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    At that level of calories your gonna be at a defeceit so don't expect to see much muscle gains I'm 5 10 180lbs I get close to 4000 calories a day and only at 11 percent body fat but I'm also trying to gain muscle mass anything under 2000 is for trying to lose a lot of weight
  • f_l_y_n_n_
    f_l_y_n_n_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hah nope just saw it was under gaining weight section
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    f_l_y_n_n_ wrote: »
    anything under 2000 is for trying to lose a lot of weight

LOL ok
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'll weigh in as a female - my avg is about 2200 a day, losing about .25/.5 a week - I do weights 3 times a week and cardio 4-5 (endurance triathlete) - so 1590 for me seems possibly low but I'd do what you did - adjust calories, monitor for a couple of weeks and tweak as needed

have you done any kind of baseline BF assessment to see where you are for comparison purposes?
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i'll weigh in as a female - my avg is about 2200 a day, losing about .25/.5 a week - I do weights 3 times a week and cardio 4-5 (endurance triathlete) - so 1590 for me seems possibly low but I'd do what you did - adjust calories, monitor for a couple of weeks and tweak as needed

have you done any kind of baseline BF assessment to see where you are for comparison purposes?

Thanks for the feedback. I will watch and make adjustments as needed. I just wanted to make sure the jump wasn't too much st once.

Never done a body fat assessment - not since high school. I don't go to a gym or anything so just sort of going on pic comparisons. And tape measure but that ain't movin...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    there are a few ways you can get an assessment done (and don't need a gym)

BodPod
    InBody
    Dexa Scan (health insurance MAY cover this)

check out local universities if they have college of health and sciences or similar - they often have students administer tests as work experience
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I'll look into theseZ. Thanks.