Husband says have a cheat day once a week.....REALLY ?

Options
So he says if I have a cheat day once a week, then it will reset my metabolism. Is that really true? He also says it readjusts how your glycemic foods register inside your body. Sounds crazy to me. What do you guys think ?

Replies

• Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have read that a cheat meal a week is good. It has an effect on thyroid levels.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Talk with him. He probably means well. Good luck.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    HAHAHHAHA You should have cheat meals, but not because of metabolic reset. That doesn't make sense.
  • ericthoresen
    ericthoresen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Problem is one cheat day a week could lead to two cheat days a week. Then eventually three. Next thing you know your gaining wait. If you want to cheat, have that item you would not have normally had at dinner time, or that desert, but factor in the calories so you don't go over.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    In this entire thread, I haven't seen it defined what a "cheat day" is. Not trying to be snarky, but if you're in a situation where you may be trying to be -1000 for the day (like I am), it's awfully hard to hit that number exactly. As I log my calories in / calories out every day, I average about -1100 (not on purpose), but I don't consider it a cheat day when I have a day of -650 or -700. I've also found that with healthier choices, it would be difficult for me to reach my maintenance calories in a day as it is.

But the main point I was making is this: what is a "cheat day" for you? Yesterday I had two slices of pizza for dinner (and felt an irrational pang of guilt). It brought my deficit to about -750. Other than the explosion of sodium and the fluid I'll likely retain for a few days because of it, it'll be no big deal.

So is a cheat day an indulgence? Or is it just missing a target by a little?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I could make a spectacular disaster in one day a week, highly don't recommend doing a yolo day once a week lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your husband shouldn't give up his day job any time soon LOL

'cheat' days can actually undo all our hard work by wiping out the weeks calorie deficit if we're not careful...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only thing that "resets" metabolism is exercise and it actually resets it in a good way, but even there it is of little consequence because what you eat and how active you are has such an overpowering impact on your calorie deficit. The rest is marginal. But I agree that we need to know what is meant by "cheat day." For one person a cheat day might be eating a slice of cake. For another it might be eating the whole three layer cake.

My personal view of the best way to go is to not label any foods as off-limits, but always eat in moderation. It's a mental thing. When we start saying, "It's okay because its my cheat day," we can easily eat enough to undo our efforts from the rest of the week. If we're doing something that we aren't comfortable doing all the time then we might ought to find a different approach.
  • oceancitybum1
    oceancitybum1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "Eaten ain't cheating." Bill Clinton.
  • RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How much extra would you eat on a cheat day? 1000 calories extra? 1500? That could be setting you back 2-3 days. Personally I wouldn't do it but it's up to you if you are prepared to slow down your progress.