Workaholic needs some advice

Options
2»

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Of course you need to decide in the end what you can and cannot do. You can take limited steps, and certainly cutting out those sweetened coffees would be a real help to both your diet and your health. But they won't take care of the whole issue. It's bigger than what you eat; it's about your willingness to change. So far, I'm hearing more about what you're NOT willing to change than what you are. You're spending your entire life, it sounds like, on work, and unless you're Mother Teresa, there is more to life than a job, even an interesting and fulfilling job. My own opinion: Exercise is important, decent, healthy, enjoyable food is important, outside interests are important. Go all OCD on an elliptical at a gym. (btw....hope you don't mind my asking, but are you ADHD as well? It kind of sounded like it from some of what you said.) The thing is that saying "I won't...I can't....." doesn't get you very far. You won't work less, you won't get treatment for the condition that makes leading a more balanced life so very hard. That's OK, but then don't expect other things to change in any major ways.

I'd suggest working with a nutritionist. Reading up on a new topic sounds like something hard for you to focus on; sessions with a nutritionist could help overcome that obstacle.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Time management..!

Your work is not an excuse. Your OCD? Honestly??... You find excuses to not do the things you know that you have to do in order to feel better.

And I think we can't help you with that.

But here are my tips from a girl who not only work a lot but also lives out of two suitcases and is sent around the world every six months... So you work 18 hours? Why don't you wake up earlier and try at least to do some exercise? Prepare some lunch at your house or bring the enough food to make a turkey sandwich and a salad at work (I've seen it being done in my office!). Prepare on the weekends soup or stew and leave it for daily dinners.

The road to hell was created with excuses... (it sounds better in Spanish haha)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    yep she could but apparently she already knows whats best for her, that's why she is asking for advice in the forums

if you took my advice as snarky sorry bout that, sometimes the truth hurts

Wow Cp731. So if someone doesn't bow down to your rude posts, you pull out the claws and become a <censor>. Interesting that you edit so many of your posts. You don't like me, that is obvious. Honestly, I don't care because you have issues. So go troll somewhere else, maybe learn some social skills.

its not a matter of not liking you, I don't even know you, this is the internet, and im not a "troll" ive seen a lot of post like this where ppl want advice but continue to make excuses for their behavior and when advice is given, whether you think its rude or not, its the truth, some ppl cant handle the truth or arnt ready for change but feel like talking and making posts to use it as a means of argumentation. im not here to offend or insult and I certainly don't owe you an explanation.

if your going to get your feelings hurt over one comment from one user I feel for you. and not for nothing but you do make a lot of excuses, then you come out with all your OCD issues an its a laundry list of things you cant do because of x.y.z

so really the issue lies within you, im at a healthy weight and body fat % because I took all the advice that was offered to me whether I wanted to hear it or not. I also didn't insult other members for pointing out the obvious.

seriously, if your attitude doesn't change, neither will your health.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Take a 1/2 hour each day to plan your tomorrow. Once you get used to it, it will only take about 15 minutes.

I pack a lunch to work and plan my workout for the day as well.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I do not work standard 70 hour weeks, but they happen every so often. Or quite a lot, recently. My workenvironment makes it slightly easier, because the canteen serves superhealthy and nice salads every day, but there is still the urge to eat sugar and caffeinated things if you're pulling a number of long days... And it kind of cuts into any standard exercise regime too.

For me what made the switch was realising that sugar and caffeine only woke me up and gave me a perk in the short term, in the long term it just made me much more tired. I do better (and am able to work longer, and more efficiently) on healthier foods, with a low glycemic index, and with plenty of water. It does take some prep, but I feel much better for it!

Planning ahead, as some other people have said, is key I think. And having some healthy and quick options in your repertoire for emergencies - like if you are working late, make sure you know which option from your local take-aways is best and most satisfying for the amount of calories you are getting from it.

But I think the most important thing is to make it a priority, like you make your work a priority too. Your health is at least as important as your job, hell, I'd say it's much more important!! So do sacrifice some time from your busy schedule to work your health into the equation.

Edit: you say you have OCD tendencies, which is why you work so much... Couldn't you channel some of this obsessive behaviour towards getting a healthier lifestyle for now? It might make your life overall more balanced...
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Without trying to sound rude I am going to tell you the same thing I tell my brother and best friend - WHEN you have a stroke or heart attack, what is your employer going to do? Simple - they will kick you aside for the next person that will work that much.

Make time for yourself, you are worth it
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I realize I do not have a free pass on the coffee, but never realized how many calories they were until I looked it up today. Besides I do not over eat, I actually do not eat food all that often but I consume to many liquid calories. I also drink more water than the average overweight person.

With this- I normally wouldnt say this- but to start you in the right direction you could do protein shakes like speacial K or slim fast. This would give you something to drink at least that has more nutritional value... and I think with that plan you only have to be prepared for one meal and 2 snacks a day
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Without trying to sound rude I am going to tell you the same thing I tell my brother and best friend - WHEN you have a stroke or heart attack, what is your employer going to do? Simple - they will kick you aside for the next person that will work that much.

Make time for yourself, you are worth it

Sounds like OP's in the "I should probably do this someday" headspace, but isn't really in the motivational state to act, yet.

Sounds like OP likes/is used to her life & basically wants to keep doing what she's doing, making as few lifestyle changes as possible & avoiding putting (even a minimal amount of) time & effort into the necessary learning/preparation, but, somehow lose weight.

Not possible, I'm afraid. And in fact that whole process, of investing time and effort and intention, is what ingrains the changes into you.

& you DO have to make changes, and it's uncomfortable & disruptive and will not be fun for a while. That means you have to keep your long term goal in mind, and use other tricks to overcome immediate impulses.

All a question of motivational preparedness; unsure OP's there. (Gauntlet thrown!)
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Even what little time I have taken to be here to read and post has been more stressful to me than the 12.5 hours of actual work I did today. The only way for me to stop working so much is through medication, and I'm not willing to do that.
    :flowerforyou: Webby

If you had another condition that made it hard to improve your health - a thyroid problem, foot pain, bronchitis - wouldn't you seek out some treatment to improve it? Are you averse do all medications?

If so - have you tried intensive cognitive behavioral therapy, or psychotherapy yet? It sounds like overworking isn't the cause of your problem, but it is a major symptom.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Workaholics need better nutrition to maintain their schedule, not worse.

You could eat the same thing every day (or variations thereof). You don't sound like a food person, so this might work for you. Boiled egg or cereal. Roast beef in a rollup. Raw veggies and hummus.

You could put together your meals for the week every Sunday, throw them in the freezer ,and pull them out and microwave.

You could have meals delivered, ordering them on the internet. My mom did that when my dad was very ill and she couldn't cook.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    While I understand some of the responses have been 'harsh' in your view, you've also received a lot of valuable advice. In addition, please keep in mind that most of us have been where you are at some point - making excuses rather than changes. So we come from a place of knowledge, not of disrespect.

The fact is, you've given a lot of excuses. I'm not saying that they don't make things more challenging, but at the end of the day? Still excuses. I used to use them all.the.time. So I'm not beating you up for them. I work all the time. Not 18 hours a day, but often 10-12, with an occasional 18 hour day. I also travel about 60% of the year, living out of a suitcase in various hotels in different cities. Many of my meal times are spent at places (for work) not really known for their healthy foods - baseball parks, airports, NASCAR tracks, and state fairs. Guess what? I've still lost almost 30 pounds. I get up 30 minutes early every day and workout so at least that much exercise is done. Sometimes I do more after work, sometimes not. But I'm not sedentary any more. I track every bite I eat, even when it's ugly and I have to do my best guess on food found at a fair.

I'm not perfect, but I am trying. Realize that you ARE worth it, get some therapy for the OCD if you're not interested in drug therapy, and channel the good parts of that tendency into doing something positive for yourself.

I woke up one day and realized that the ONE thing in life I can't hire somebody to do for me is to take care of my body and be the healthiest version of myself I can be. Nobody can do that for me, but me. The same goes for you. Good luck!