Need more carbs- any suggestions ?

Options
Last week I analysed why I stayed the same weight and was so hungry despite hitting calorie allowance and realised I ate more sugar than allowed but was under with the carbs, so this week I'm out to change that round. Trouble is today I've had potato, due some more later and finally will have pasta salad but I'm still 127 below my daily carb allowance. So, any suggestions for high carb low calorie food please? Thanks

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There's no need to hit any particular carb amount. The MFP defaults are just that, a default, and one of many many many perfectly good macro ratios. They are a decent place to start, but don't work for everyone, and the goal is to find what is easy, comfortable, and satisfying for you.

What are your total calories and macro numbers (fat, protein, carbs)? Also, for better information, stats (height/weight) and goal (maintain, lose, gain, lbs per week you are aiming for, do you eat back exercise)?

If you tend to be high in sugar but low in carbs, how are is fiber? You might need to increase it.

A lot of people find protein satiating -- how is your protein?

People vary a lot in whether they find fat or carbs satiating.

Anyway, the best way to increase one macro is to find out what you are high in and increase portions of the foods higher in the thing you are low in and decrease the portion of foods higher in the thing you are high in. But like I said, here I'm not sure that's what will help the most.

Oh, there's really no such thing as high carb/low calorie. All carbs are 4 calories per gram (well, fiber gets counted in different ways), all protein is 4 calories per gram, and all fat is 9 calories per gram. For the highest carbs/lowest calories you'd want something mostly all carbs, but that's not usually going to help that much with hunger unless eaten as part of a meal.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You don't need more carbs. I've eaten less than 20g carbs a day for over 4 years, and I'm healthier than I've ever been.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is a different post :smile: Most people post asking how to reduce their carbs.

OP increasing your carbs wont make a difference in weight loss, unless they give you more energy to work out.
  • Timberla82
    Timberla82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I'll answer your question! :)

Some low-ish calorie good carb ideas are popcorn (air popped), brown rice cakes, skim or fat-free milk (good smack of protein in there as well), a slice of wholegrain bread with tomato and basil (add a little bit of onion or garlic and a smidge of olive oil to go for bruschetta as a mid-arvo snack), apples, melons...enjoy!
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll advice you to eat more vegstables. Have a look at the IG of food as well. The lower the level, the less your insuline peaks and the steadier you get your blood sugar.

Great sources for carbs can be lentils and chic peas. They add to your natural protein intake
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, potatoes, dates, apples and bananas are mostly carbs but also have plenty other nutrients.