C25K... repeat or continue?

Options
amc2509
amc2509 Posts: 220 Member
Just completed wk4 of c25k.. I had to do day 3 twice to be able to complete all the runs without pausing. However while I did complete all the runs, I really struggled. I think I'm going slow enough (I covered 4.13km in the 34 minutes including the warm up & cool down)
So should I do w4d3 until I am comfortable or move onto w5d1?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It eons hurt to repeat week, and you'll feel more confident for the challenges of week 5! Have fun!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    most ppl I know repeat weeks of C25K throughout as needed
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    don't focus on how fast or slow your doing it, just concentrate on doing it. Go slower and repeat if you have to
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    i think I may start this tomorrow
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! think I might do week 4 again... @SpotLighttt I'd recommend! I started at a very low fitness level in Feb, was struggling to walk briskly if there was any sort of an incline. The first week those 1 minute runs were a killer... I kept reminding myself this today when I was doing the 5 minute runs!! Week 5 has 8 minute runs, but that seems like a HUGE step-up right now!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest doing it until you are 'comfortable' with it, but also don't move on unless you can successfully complete it. The idea each week is to push you just past your comfort level, so it should be somewhat hard (but not impossible).

If it were me I would do it again and then move on.

Good luck.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    amc2509 wrote: »
    Just completed wk4 of c25k.. I had to do day 3 twice to be able to complete all the runs without pausing. However while I did complete all the runs, I really struggled. I think I'm going slow enough (I covered 4.13km in the 34 minutes including the warm up & cool down)
    So should I do w4d3 until I am comfortable or move onto w5d1?

Personally I'm not a big fan of the advice to keep repeating weeks. One of the bigger challenges of running is the mental, much more than the physical.

You finished the sessions, so I'd suggest going on with week 5.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K and only used it until I got the gist of what it was trying to do. Started with 30 second run intervals. The part I had a hard time with was the time. I could not stand the thought of a timer ticking away until I could walk again. A minute felt like an hour to me.

I just made my own program up. I called it "Bob To 5K". I just started running intervals in my power walks, and gradually increased the distance of the run interval. Distance made it easier for me because it's a point I could see in front of me and make it to. In about 6 months I could run 5 miles non stop.

You have to push yourself each time, and you have to recover properly. Recovery can be a brisk walk instead of running. I use power walking for my recovery now.

And as someone mentioned, it's mostly a mental game.
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I hit those plateaus I would push as far past the last weeks time as I could. If I made it to the next weeks time, Yay. Otherwise I would be in an "intermediate" week where I was working up to the next week. So I might make it to 6 minutes the first interval and 6.5 min. the second, etc. The next run day I would make it a little farther. It's not exactly repeating the week, but you are still making progress. Some of the weeks I would feel like I could go farther than they said to, so I would keep going until I got tired, then do a brisk walk to cool down for the regular interval.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'd say just repeat the last workout until you can complete it without pausing. Moving from the 5 min to 8 min intervals was more of a mental barrier for me, I just slowed down a little and found that the 8 minutes were easier than the 5, weird but awesome!