Protein powder??

Options
ltfitz89
ltfitz89 Posts: 295 Member
What brand/type of protein powder do you use to make smoothies or protein shakes. I know a few guys who drink protein on a regular basis but most of them are trying to build ALOT of muscle. I just want to tone up and build muscle to replace some of the fat I have. It seems like everywhere sells lots of different types of protein powder and I have no idea where to start.

Also, if you have any recipes I would love to see them!

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    You won't get huge by adding protein powder to your diet. Those guys that are huge have to work so incredibly hard to get that way.

I love, love, love Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey protein. My two favorite flavors are mocha cappuccino and extreme milk chocolate. I mix mine with 8-10oz of milk.

Here's where I get mine: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You do not need protein powder to reach your goals and if you are on a deficit, it is better to get your protein from whole foods because they will keep you from being hungry, that being said if you still want powder, I prefer Isopure Dutch chocolate. It's a Whey Protein Isolate and it tastes delicious even when mixed with water.
  • ltfitz89
    ltfitz89 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a silly question, but is there anywhere that sells sample/trial sizes of these? From what I can find on the internet, it seems like it most often comes in 2-5lb containers, which I wouldn't mind buying except I am afraid I may not like the flavor, texture, etc. and I don't want to blow $55 just to find this out.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    If you have a whole foods near you, they sell single use sample packets of many different protein powders.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question, and the answers. I'm in the same boat...need more protein, without too much extra carbs or fat.
  • tmblastquads
    Options
    You cannot go wrong with optimum nutrition. Try the 2lb tub.
    Though I wouldn't recommend wasting your money on protein powder, especially if you are small build, not trying to gain size.
    Protein powder alone won't make you tone or gain muscle..People take them to meet their protein intake.

if you are small build, it should not be difficult to consume sufficient amount of protein just from food...unless you don't eat meat.
  • tmblastquads
    Options
    *but if you are gonna get it...get vanilla, since they will go well with anything you mix, juice, milk etc.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I bought a sample pack with a bunch of different flavours from vitamart.ca (if you are in canada).

I would look at reviews, bodybuilding.com is a good place to start. I gave Whey Gourmet Peanut Butter chocolate a try, love it! I can just mix it with water, or put it in a blender with a banana, some plain greek yogurt, or a spoonfull of peanut butter and make a smoothie. I also tried Raspberry and Orangesicle, which are good but not something I want to drink for 60 days in a row. Look for something that is affordable, decent quality, but since you are new to protein shakes, look for high marks in the taste category.

As mentioned, you won't bulk up with protein shakes. Make sure you get the low calorie ones, not the "mass gainer" type.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a silly question, but is there anywhere that sells sample/trial sizes of these? From what I can find on the internet, it seems like it most often comes in 2-5lb containers, which I wouldn't mind buying except I am afraid I may not like the flavor, texture, etc. and I don't want to blow $55 just to find this out.

The best powder I've found so far is Trutein (Truscience). One of the nice thing is that they sell samples of all of their different versions powders and flavors of said powders. I bought one of each initially to decide which ones I wanted to buy 5lbs tubs of. I think their peanut butter cup and cinnabun are the best.

http://www.truscience.com/samples.html

Dope
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just started using AST VP2 Whey Protein Isolate Double choc .... shaken with milk and coffee powder this tastes like crack! Very low in carbs and fat and since all that my macros is deficient on is protein, this works great for me.
  • DoctorCheeba
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey protein is by far a big favourite of mine and people I know! They make some of the best tasting powders, Extreme Milk Chocolate is my favourite. I'm also a big fan of Isoflex, they taste amazing too. Peanut Butter and chocolate from IsoFlex has been my top choice overall, even over ON, but they are among the most expensive.

Here's a break down:

ON Gold Standard (Per 30g scoop): 120 Cal, 1.5g Fat, 3g Carbs, 24g Protein
    IsoFlex (Per 30g scoop): 115 Cal, 0g Fat, 1g Carbs, 27g Protein

Recipes:
    Low Cal = 2 scoops of powder, 1-2 cups of water. (230-240 Cal)
    Nice creamy shake = 2 scopps of powder, 1 cup of skim milk and a little water. (320 Cal)
    Tastiest Protein shake = 2 scoops of powder, 2 cups of skim milk, 1 frozen banana. Blend it! Add ice if you want. (510 Cal)

*The last one I'll use as a treat or when I'm low on calories for the day and need energy*