Calories at the golf driving range

Options
So, for a 250 lb guy going to the driving range and hitting balls for an hour, does about 300 cals sound close?

Going by http://golftips.golfweek.com/many-calories-burned-golf-range-1791.html shows a 190 lb person burning 259 per hour, 300 seem realistic.

And if I turn on my watch (Garmin VivoActive HR), any idea if it will be close?

Thinking of getting out after work, maybe for just a half hour or so, and am curious.

Thanks

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Welp, it's better than sitting on your kitten! Have fun!

ETA: The calories burned sounds about right.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Welp, it's better than sitting on your kitten! Have fun!

ETA: The calories burned sounds about right.

Nah. I sit on the dogs :)

It's nice outside (just a bit cool) so why the hell not.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    5 cals per minute? If I had to guess, I'd say it was less than that. Your garmin is likely a crap shoot. Even when they are right, they aren't right.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you're hacking, duffing, or golfing.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Depends on if you're hacking, duffing, or golfing.

?? Driving?
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    30 minutes will burn probably closer to 100 calories...not very strenuous activity at all. You probably don't burn 300 calories lifting weights and lifting is far more strenuous
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Online activity calculators seem to think pretty highly of golf as an activity source and vastly overestimate the calories. For my usual 3.5 - 4 hour round of golf, even using an electric cart, both MFP and Garmin Connect want to give me somewhere around 1700 calories burned. My Apple Watch, in comparison, barely considers it above sedentary and usually counts about 5-10 minutes of the whole round as actual exercise minutes. The truth is somewhere in between. The activity level is definitely above sedentary, but also well below purposeful exercise - even below that of a sustained brisk walk.

A half hour at the driving range may be 100 calories above and beyond your normal NEAT - I wouldn't take credit for much more than that.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    So, I couldn't figure out which activity to use on my watch, so I picked weights. Not sure if that impacted it or not, but ~ 30 mins and 80 balls and it says 119 cals. I'm calling it close enough. And, to be fair, I was saying 300 for an hour.

As I said elsewhere, I seem to do better without 80 lbs of gut in my way. Okay, I know the 80 lbs wasn't all gut, but it made a difference.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    So, my watch show 119 calories for 30 minutes. Seems close. My thought above were 300 for an hour, so it's a ballpark between what the site I found said and what you guys suggest, so I'm going to leave it as it is.