Hamstring workouts...???

Options
What are some suggestions for a good hamstring workout with limited equipment? Squats murder my knees, so I try to avoid those.

Thanks!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    straight leg dead lifts, and GHR you can have someone hold your feet.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com and search hamstring workouts. You can specify what equipment you have as well.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    What does "limited equipment" mean?

stiff-legged (Romanian) deadlifts, good mornings and hip thrusts come to mind. I'm guessing is squats bother your knees, then so will lunges.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    To stretch them?

I do pigeon and down ward dogs every day.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Glute hamstring raises will probably also be rough on your knees (but wow do they work the muscles - if you don't have a helper you can anchor your ankles under a barbell that has a bunch of weights on it - wedge it in place so it doesn't roll too. You might want to wrap a towel around the bar and put cushions under your knees. or try anchoring under your bed). You can try good mornings if you have a barbell. These should also be a bit easier on your tendons than the straight leg deadlift. You can also try weighted hip thrusts (can be done with a barbell, dumbbell, weight plate, or resistance band). But give them all a try and see what works for you!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you have a set of slides similar to these you can do hamstring slides.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Glute hamstring raises will probably also be rough on your knees (but wow do they work the muscles - if you don't have a helper you can anchor your ankles under a barbell that has a bunch of weights on it - wedge it in place so it doesn't roll too. You might want to wrap a towel around the bar and put cushions under your knees. or try anchoring under your bed). You can try good mornings if you have a barbell. These should also be a bit easier on your tendons than the straight leg deadlift. You can also try weighted hip thrusts (can be done with a barbell, dumbbell, weight plate, or resistance band). But give them all a try and see what works for you!

I did a modified version of those the other day (pilates ball involved) that seemed to work, but that requires a second person. I think I'll try those with the barbell! Thanks!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Squatting doesn't really involve the hamstring anyway, so you're not really missing out on any hamstring gains by omitting it.

My preferred hamstring movements are stiff-legged/romanian deadlifts and leg curls.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

i have bad knees, injuries surgeries etc. and GHR doesn't bother me , but neither do squats , i think having strong muscles around my knees protects them. anyways, if you do GHR on the floor on in the machine, you can self assist your self with your hands to make it not so hard until you build up strength.

Good mornings are good, but you gotta have good form and know what you are doing or you will get hurt.
    regardless of what exercise, make sure your hams (and glutes) are engaged and tight so you will get the most benefit from the exercise.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    another hamstring killer is that Ball roll thing where you put your heels on the big ball and roll it back and forth. Also heels in the trx and then do suspended leg curl things.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Have you explored why your knees hurt?