Eating back exercise calories clarification needed

Options
I am new to this forum and see a lot of words and expressions that I do not completely understand. When you guys talk about eating back your exercise calories does that mean your daily needs plus exercise calories? Say I need 1900 calories a day, and after an exercise I have burned say 800 calories. Does this mean that I still should eat the 1900?

Replies

• Annfurtado
    Annfurtado Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi? I'm a newbie too. I think it means that you can/should eat enough of the 800 calories, or all of them, to ensure that you don't go below your daily calorie allowance.

It relates to the theory that if you eat less than the amount calculated as your BMR, basic metabolic rate then your body goes into starvation mode and starts hoarding calories. I'd never heard of this before and it's a little controversial. There's a post explaining it all at the top of this thread.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it's designed for you to eat back the calories you burn from exercise.

So if your goal is 1,900 and you burn 300 -- your new goal is 2,200.

The trick is to ensure you aren't over-estimating the calories you are burning.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Annfurtado wrote: »
    Hi? I'm a newbie too. I think it means that you can/should eat enough of the 800 calories, or all of them, to ensure that you don't go below your daily calorie allowance.

It relates to the theory that if you eat less than the amount calculated as your BMR, basic metabolic rate then your body goes into starvation mode and starts hoarding calories. I'd never heard of this before and it's a little controversial. There's a post explaining it all at the top of this thread.

"Starvation mode" (which doesn't exist in the way you're using it) isn't why it's recommended to eat back the calories burned from exercise. The reason why MFP recommends eating back calories is because it's important to fuel your activity -- eating enough prevents excessive muscle loss, ensures energy, helps you meet your nutritional needs, and may help prevent cravings.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    how are you burning 800 calories through exercise?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you the 1900 number then it means you should eat that PLUS exercise calories. I would be cautious though - 800 is a lot of calories - how did you come up with that number? If it is from MFP it is probably extremely over estimated. This is why most people say to eat 1/2 or some other portion of the exercise calories.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If MFP says you need 1900 cals per day, then you exercise and burn 500 cals, MFP will adjust for that and then say you need 2400 cals (your original 1900 + the 500 exercise cals).

The "debate" is whether or not you should eat back those 500 cals... so do you eat 2400 for the day, 1900, or somewhere in between.

The way MFP is designed to be used, you should be eating back those calories (so 2400 total, if we continue using this example). Not everyone uses MFP that way, instead they use their TDEE. In that case, they wouldn't eat back those 500 calories.

To further muddy the waters, there is a large portion of the population that find estimates for the number of cals burned during exercise to be highly inflated, and so they suggest only eating back a portion of those 500 cals.

I don't want to bog down this post by getting into the differences/pros/cons of the MFP approach vs TDEE, but if you want to go there, we can... just ask.

That's kinda the cliff notes to all this. Ask if you want more details or clarifications on any of it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Think of calories the way you think of gasoline, because calories are fuel for your body. The more you drive, the more gas you put in your car; the more you exercise, the more food you put in your body.
    Annfurtado wrote: »
    It relates to the theory that if you eat less than the amount calculated as your BMR, basic metabolic rate then your body goes into starvation mode and starts hoarding calories.

This is kind of a myth. In history, there have been a lot of examples of wars and famines, and they never make people fat. It's true that you'll feel tired and lethargic after a while if you don't eat enough and that will probably result in you doing less, which will have you burn less calories. It's more that your body needs different fuels and nutrients to do its regular chores, like making new hair and fingernails and helping you recover from exercise.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    If you got your goal from mfp then you should eat back the exercise calories. If you used an online TDEE calculator to get your goal then do not eat back exercise calories. Mfp gives you a goal to lose weight without any exercise, so when you do exercise you have to add those calories in. TDEE considers exercise when calculating your goal. If your exercise is very consistent then TDEE is a good way to go. But if you don't exercise regularly then adding it as you do it might be best. If you think your exercise calories seem inflated then only eat back half of them and after about 4 weeks reevaluate. If you are losing faster than expected eat back more of them and if you are not losing as fast as expected eat back more.
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Do you mean that as in like that's impossible? Or do you really want to know how? Well its different for each person as every one is a different weight/height. I burn between 800-1200 calories every morning at 5am fast walking on the treadmill, 3-3.5mph at a incline of 10-15 never going below a 8 incline, for 60 min.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories, but I make sure the calorie burn estimates are plausible. The only way you'd burn 800 calories is if you went for a 5+ mile run. Generally, my walking + yoga + kettlebells get me an extra 200-400 cal/day.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you're going the MFP plus exercise route, to make the sums easier, halve the time you enter in your diary and this will automatically half the number of calories you log. Then eat all calories logged.

So if the MFP database says your 40 minute cardio was 500 calories, enter 20 minutes in your log and MFP will enter 250 calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I repeat a valid question, what did you do and how long did you do it and what is your weight doing it that you claim 800 calories burned?

I have 2 different cardio machines in my home. One requires that I give it my weight before I start using it, and includes a chest-strap heart rate monitor. I highly trust what it says I burn when I use it. The other machine is indifferent to my weight and I know that it cannot accurately or even almost accurately tell the truth about what I burn. I've also recently taken up shooting hoops in my driveway. I have no idea how to log that. I've recently also taken up an exercise called "battle ropes". That has become popular in recent years, but on-line compendia of exercises don't include it. Again, any claim of calorie burn in that is speculative.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I love how people get so hung up on the 800 calories burned that they fail to actually answer OP's question.
    Nearly everyone also answered the question. We're just giving advice to be cautious of MFP's calorie burn estimates, as they can be pretty inflated for some exercises and inputs. Eating back exercise calories is good. Overestimating exercise calories kills your losses.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    mawill08 wrote: »

Do you mean that as in like that's impossible? Or do you really want to know how? Well its different for each person as every one is a different weight/height. I burn between 800-1200 calories every morning at 5am fast walking on the treadmill, 3-3.5mph at a incline of 10-15 never going below a 8 incline, for 60 min.

That calorie burn seems suspiciously high. I bet that is total calories, rather than active calories.

I weigh 200 pounds and my active calories are around 5 per minute when walking and 10 per minute when running. It seems unlikely that yours would be so much higher, even walking on an incline.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    mawill08 wrote: »

That calorie burn seems suspiciously high. I bet that is total calories, rather than active calories.

I weigh 200 pounds and my active calories are around 5 per minute when walking and 10 per minute when running. It seems unlikely that yours would be so much higher, even walking on an incline.

This^

We are all burning calories just sitting in a chair for 60 minutes and My Fitness Pal has already given us credit for those calories. How many calculators take this number out of the equation? Not many.

OP - calorie burns are often inflated because they are "gross" calories.....not net.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If MFP says you need 1900 cals per day, then you exercise and burn 500 cals, MFP will adjust for that and then say you need 2400 cals (your original 1900 + the 500 exercise cals).

The "debate" is whether or not you should eat back those 500 cals... so do you eat 2400 for the day, 1900, or somewhere in between.

The way MFP is designed to be used, you should be eating back those calories (so 2400 total, if we continue using this example). Not everyone uses MFP that way, instead they use their TDEE. In that case, they wouldn't eat back those 500 calories.

To further muddy the waters, there is a large portion of the population that find estimates for the number of cals burned during exercise to be highly inflated, and so they suggest only eating back a portion of those 500 cals.

I don't want to bog down this post by getting into the differences/pros/cons of the MFP approach vs TDEE, but if you want to go there, we can... just ask.

That's kinda the cliff notes to all this. Ask if you want more details or clarifications on any of it.

OK, don't want to sound like an idiot but what is TDEE?
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I am going to tag my question on here since it is related, I think. I have been on the same calorie goal for 2 years. I never followed what MFP suggested, but what was given to me by a weight loss program. I have two questions, is it unwise to now go up in calories to what mfp suggests? My second question is how do I know what my net calories eaten are?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mhwitt74 wrote: »

OK, don't want to sound like an idiot but what is TDEE?

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
    Basically, it's all the calories you burn throughout the day doing everything you do, from breathing to cleaning the house to exercising.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Through UA Record and then verified at the gym I go to. I spend at least 2 hours per workout. Treadmill and then total body workout.