12min mile vs running in place.

Options
blah2989
blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
Hi guys quick question. On the exercise calculator it says running the 12 min mile and running in place for 12 minutes burns the SAME amount of calories. I definitely feel like I get a better work out running the mile than I do running inside (in "place"- i dont rly run in place; just inside) I jog both. Is it the same? Is the calculator accurate? Thanks!

Replies

• jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but it's a great question. My sense is that you get a better workout running the actual mile, but am interested to hear what others say.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    running in place is actually really hard.

and really boring. much like a treadmill
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert, but I would assume with running outside there are other factors that might make it a more satisfying work out....like slight inclines, change in surface, change in scenery helping you mentally enjoy the workout....if any of these are factors I supposed you might burn a few more running outside, but I wouldn't think it would be a WHOLE LOT different then a treadmill.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I agree. Ithink I run faster running the mile as opposed to running in place. I do run up and down hills as well as in the heat and I would think thats a factor. ( Not to mention Im running with my dog- which is practically stregnth training when he pulls LOL)