Whats the point of exercise when trying to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Ashleyjt_ wrote: »
    I heard you don't need to exercise when trying to lose weight but whats the point? Is it just to build muscle?

1. To make losing weight easier and more enjoyable.
    2. To give me more calories to eat each day.
    3. To increase strength and endurance.
    4. To help me work toward my goals.
    5. To improve my health.
    6. Because if I don't exercise, I'm grouchy and restless and hard to live with.
    7. Because I can't imagine not exercising.
    8. Because I can!

As above except for point #1: I am on maintenance.

And point # 2: I exercise because I love it and because it is good for me, but not for giving me an excuse to eat more.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Ashleyjt_ wrote: »
    I heard you don't need to exercise when trying to lose weight but whats the point? Is it just to build muscle?

1. To make losing weight easier and more enjoyable.
    2. To give me more calories to eat each day.
    3. To increase strength and endurance.
    4. To help me work toward my goals.
    5. To improve my health.
    6. Because if I don't exercise, I'm grouchy and restless and hard to live with.
    7. Because I can't imagine not exercising.
    8. Because I can!

As above except for point #1: I am on maintenance.

And point # 2: I exercise because I love it and because it is good for me, but not for giving me an excuse to eat more.

I'm sort of on maintenance too ... although I wouldn't mind dropping just a little bit more. :)

And I've always had a big appetite, so exercise is a win-win for me ... I can eat more + I can do something I love!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I exercise to gain some calories back. My calories to lose is 1500 a day but with exercise i eat 1700-1900 easy.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    And it helps combat fatigue. When I'm tired it's hard to get out and walk but once I do it the fatigue is gone.
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've exercised my whole life. I really can't imagine not doing it. Sometimes I walk, sometimes I run, sometimes I swim...it really all depends on what I feel like doing. However, since November I've been doing Orangetheory and although the weight loss has been a bit slow, I went on Spring Break this week and played a lot of golf, and this time around my back didn't hurt from playing too much, and I was hitting the ball farther, so I've gotten stronger too. It's even helped me cut down on some of my medicine for my bipolar disorder. So yes, exercise is important, but no you don't have to do it to lose weight.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat. And for some reason I lose weight faster when I get at least 10000 steps per day.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Calorie restriction with sufficient exercise causes your losses to be mostly fat. Without the exercise, you'll lose some muscle along with the fat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    xd9cy58a1lkj.jpg