I eat a lot of carbs is that going to help me lose weight if I stop eating it?

Options
Allthingsglitter
Allthingsglitter Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I eat a lot of carbs- bagels, pasta, rice, but I always eat whole grain. I always eat within my deficit.

Will eating too much carbs hinder my weight loss?

Replies

• ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No. As long as you are under your calories, you will lose weight.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You're fine. Some people enjoy the low carb lifestyle and others don't (like me.) There are all kinds of ways to go about this, but what really matters is that whatever method you choose creates a calorie deficit. No need to make it more challenging and complicated than it needs to be. ;)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I eat a high carb diet and I'm losing tons of weight.
  • sotoale3655
    sotoale3655 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What kind of carbs are ok? I find I might be over doing the low carb thing.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    iv lost 90 pounds in 10 months eating ALL the carbs. yummy
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Some with IR find that they lose weight a bit faster when they cut carbs, but it only ends up being about a 6lb difference over a year. If you are metabolically healthy, carbs should not affect your weight loss at all.

The main determinant is eating at a deficit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Any carbs that don't result in you going over your calorie goal. Within the overall context of a sensible, balanced diet.
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    60 pounds down this year eating 70% carbs daily.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

For health, I stick with vegetables and some lower GI fruits. Others do okay with grains. I think sugar is pretty safe to skip. ;)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've seen a bunch of your posts, and they all seem to be about things that matter very little in the big picture... water weight, sodium intake, carbs, etc.

If weight loss is your goal, focus on your calorie intake. Period. Once you get good at that, then you can worry about other things. But if your intake isn't where it should be, then none of these other questions you're asking matter even the least little bit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My bigger concern wouldn't be carbs, but rather you are getting adequate protein, which is very important while losing weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I've seen a bunch of your posts, and they all seem to be about things that matter very little in the big picture... water weight, sodium intake, carbs, etc.

If weight loss is your goal, focus on your calorie intake. Period. Once you get good at that, then you can worry about other things. But if your intake isn't where it should be, then none of these other questions you're asking matter even the least little bit.

I agree with this. Ashley.. maybe time to take a step back, read the stickies at the top and try not to worry about the little details like water weight and carbs.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a hindrance to some, a help to others. The best thing to do is keep tracking and pay attention to how you feel and if you're losing. If you feel fine with higher carbs and you're losing weight, stick with what you enjoy and what works.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a middle of the road person. When losing weight my macros were set to 40c/30/30. That 40% happened to place me on the high end of what most consider total low carb, midpoint net carb since I ate a good bit of fiber. I lost weight just fine averaging 1.25 pounds per week for ~a year. Post weight loss, I have been eating keto (1 year) for a reason other than weight.

Unless one has a disorder/disease/condition that is benefited by eating low carb in regards to weight loss or another health issue, carbohydrates are AOK. My choice for carbohydrates tends to be what is typically considered "above ground vegetables" as well as berries. Fruits generally do not "fit" well into my carbohydrate "allowance" but I don't discourage them for others. Weight loss is basically about calories in/out. There is more than eating at a deficit for some people but void of extenuating health issues, weight loss is about calories. JMO.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

This, although based on previous information, not sure we should encourage her to lose weight at all, since her goal is underweight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10529362/if-you-are-smaller-would-it-be-harder-to-lose-weight
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You can eat as few or as many carbs as you like.

I follow a keto diet (extremely low-carb) because:
    a.) I feel fuller longer and hunger feels a lot more "mellow" (less grumbles, jitteryness, nausea)
    b.) I find carbs addictive, so cutting them out in favour of more fresh meat and vegetables makes sense to me
    c.) No bloating/gas
    d.) Stable energy levels throughout the day

But many people find success on high-carb diets. It's up to you to figure out what kind of eating method is the most sustainable and enjoyable for you.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yep. Because odds are you'll end up eating less and there are a few studies that found low carb eating can help your body burn up to an extra 300 cals a day.