Treadmill advice

Options
So a week ago I started using my new treadmill I bought and have been doing about 45-55 minutes on it, I started jogging on it about 10 minutes and was so insanely sore for days after, am I pushing myself to hard too fast or should I just start walking again and work my way up to jogging?

Replies

• _NMW
    _NMW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you a complete beginner, and if so, are you following a program like Couch to 5k? It eases you in by breaking up running segments with walking intervals. Don't set out too fast, your run should be slow (some people walk quicker), it's about getting the muscles used to it and building base endurance
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me!

Google proper running form so that your not over striding, you have a good cadence and most importantly, your not going too fast. Warming up and cooling down is also essential
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Warmup, warmup, warmup ! Before and after effort.
    I was plagued by injuries when I took up running. And every time I realize my warmup routine is lacking.
    Just google around a warm-up routine you see fit, but also a stretching routine after finishing the effort. Make sure you wear a proper pair of shoes too, shoes need to fit weight, distance you plan on running and frequency. All these factors are paramount to prevent injuries. Best of luck to you!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Try something like couch to 5k. If you do not want this kind of structure, you can simply get creative, by adding short running intervals in your walking routine. Choose either time (e.g. 30, 40, 60 minutes) or distance (it does not have to be 5k, 3, 2 or 1 is fine, depending on how you feel). When you can comfortably walk the set time/distance, add slow jogging intervals. Short ones, like 1 min jog for every 2-3 minutes walk, or 100m jog for every 300 walk etc. Make sure you jog slowly at first. As you get more comfortable, increase jog to walk ratio. Do not concern yourself with speed at all, build up endurance first.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a too high pace to me.

In the beginning select a pace just at the point that forces you from "Walk" to "Run". Hold that pace for about 5 minutes and control your heartrate constantly and keep it slightly above your comfort-zone (Depending on your health-status this should be somewhere between 120 and 140 bpm).

Be aware that muscles, joints and tendons need some time to adapt to running. So several training-units will pass before running will feel like a "natural" movement.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The damage is already done but most people can't just go from zero running to sustained running in one step. Even on a treadmill, running is a high impact activity with a lot of eccentric loading. That means muscle soreness.

You won't hurt yourself by continuing to run. But you will find it more comfortable and easier to build up duration if you start by doing walk/run intervals and by gradually building up total running duration.

I've been running off and on for 45 years and whenever I am taking it back up again, I do like 5-6 60 sec intervals tops the first time back.
  • 748marie
    748marie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When i first started running or using a treadmill i would up the time in weekly i tervals. This way you ease into it and gain confidence while protecting your body.
    I would walk at a brisk warm up pace for 5 min then for the first week everyday run for 10 min. then cool down for 5min.
    I eventually got up to an hour and really began loving running. But no matter how long i ran for i always had the warm up and cool down time followed by some stretching. While i would be sore from long runs i nevet really had injuries except the occasional shin splint but that just told me i needed to change my "Dr. Schulls running" inserts.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stretch and warmup and cool down too. Treadmill can play havoc on your hips even when you're used to it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So a week ago I started using my new treadmill I bought and have been doing about 45-55 minutes on it, I started jogging on it about 10 minutes and was so insanely sore for days after, am I pushing myself to hard too fast or should I just start walking again and work my way up to jogging?

If you can maintain a brisk walk for 30minutes then you can start a running training plan. One of those will build up your capacity over time.

Couch to 5K has already been mentioned, and I'd support that.

Ten minutes continuous may have been too much