Need ideas to fight stress

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
When stressed, I have two modes: starve or keep snacking, especially in the late evening.
These last 5 months or so, I have had several very stressful things happening to me and my family, both work related and health related, basically turning our while life upside down, and while things are looking better, I do not expect life to really look good or to fall into a normal routine for several more months.
After the initial "I am completely losing my mind reaction, who cares about food or even water", I have fallen into a eat reasonably during the day, snack like crazy in the evening pattern, resulting in about 1 kilo gain per month, which cannot continue!
My big health issues are for the time being over, so I am trying to get back to an exercise routine, which hopefully will also help mentally, but it is not enough. I do not want to gain more weight, and in fact I want to lose these 5 extra kilos. It is minor compared to the rest of my issues, but not helping my health (I have PCOS and need to maintain low weight to be symptom free) or my attitude.

I know where the problem is coming from: late evening snacking, which is the time when I am usually feeling all the day's stress overwhelm me. So I need tips to get over this time of the day.
Any ideas? What do you all do when you are feeling this way?

Replies

• RickN9GSU
    RickN9GSU Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to do something to occupy my mind. Talk a walk and listen to a podcast. Do a crossword or other type of puzzle. (That's a big one for me...put another part of my brain to work) I know a lot of folks have great success with Yoga, too.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Exercise
    Take a bath
    Write
    Read
    Do your nails
    Put on 80s music and sing and dance along
    Go to sleep
    Knit
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    When I'm stressed, I exercise.

Go for a brisk bicycle ride or walk or run or something.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    I do exercise in the late evening about twice per week, the rest of the days it will not work, because ... kids.
    I do read usually, but this does not prevent me from snacking at the same time :(
    I wish that sleeping more was an option, but with stress comes insomnia.
    Music and dancing might work, I can see this fitting into my schedule.
    Doing my nails might work too, you cannot eat with fresh nail polish on :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I do exercise in the late evening about twice per week, the rest of the days it will not work, because ... kids.

Take the kids with you.

Go for a walk to the park and toss the ball around or play tag or something.

• LKArgh
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

Take the kids with you.

Go for a walk to the park and toss the ball around or play tag or something.

Unfortunately I start snacking later than this, when kids start getting ready for bed :(
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Exercise is THE best stress buster! endorphin's are the feel good hormone and exercise also improves your quality of sleep which is another good way to combat stress. Meditation and yoga are excellent for relaxation but need time and space to fully benefit, I swear by my static bike and used to love my treadmill for a spontaneous 30 minute run/cycle or if the weather wasn't great.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    +1 for exercise. There's lots you can do at home as well once the kids have gone to bed- put on a dvd, do some body weight work, skip rope, do yoga from YouTube.

I find it really helps as well if I am stressed if I just don't have the food in the house in the first place that I wouldn't want to snack on. Plan an after dinner snack that is healthy/meets your goals. I always plan in a 0% greek yoghurt with berries and some nuts if I'm really hungry. Most nights I don't eat it but I know that if I am going to snack that that's what I will have. No guilt about it either!

Are you also getting enough food at dinner time? And enough water during the day?

Sorry to hear you're stressed just try to remember that it will pass. The weight gain will pass as well, you're on the track to success. You got this!