What the *kitten*?!!

Options
13»

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't bother trying to swear here anymore. I just type out "kitten" instead. Everyone knows something naughty is supposed to go in there, and most adults are perfectly able to fill in the blank themselves.

I'm not sure why they bother since you have to be at least 18 to even join here, meaning there are no innocent teenagers to protect (who, as we all know, never swear at all and have pure, innocent minds.) But their house, their rules.
  • ccsernica
    Options
    Is it possible to have different animals for different words? It would be like visiting a zoo every day. <3

that kind of defeats the point though, then its just cursing in code....

How about randomizing it? I know I'm asking a lot from a from a simple program. A girl can dream...

You mean from the same people who make posting photos in our news feed rocket science, and the same folks who won't put an edit feature on our news feeds so we can edit comments and status updates? The same people who will not allow the ability post a caption with photos in our profile photo album? The same who won't allow us to get in site notifications for activity in our news feeds? Yes indeed. Dream and dream some more!

Some of this is will take coding to fix, so yes, you'll probably have to wait since I assume the software team has their own list of priorities, and they may have little control over them.

Others, like what character string you use to censor profanity, are going to be configuration issues that can be changed with a few keystrokes.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I don't bother trying to swear here anymore. I just type out "kitten" instead. Everyone knows something naughty is supposed to go in there, and most adults are perfectly able to fill in the blank themselves.

I'm not sure why they bother since you have to be at least 18 to even join here, meaning there are no innocent teenagers to protect (who, as we all know, never swear at all and have pure, innocent minds.) But their house, their rules.

Because decency.
  • ccsernica
    Options

Because decency.

There's nothing really indecent about words. Particularly where it's perfectly permissible to use euphemisms that mean exactly the same thing, and where some of them have been in the language for as long as we can trace it.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Is it possible to have different animals for different words? It would be like visiting a zoo every day. <3

that kind of defeats the point though, then its just cursing in code....

How about randomizing it? I know I'm asking a lot from a from a simple program. A girl can dream...

*platypus* yeah she can.

YASSSS!!! I was hoping to suggest this one but you beat me to it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Its not even MFPs rules... its googles based on their advertising. I have had those battles in years prior.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Its not even MFPs rules... its googles based on their advertising. I have had those battles in years prior.

Wait, what? The swear filter is a Google rule? Or the 18 + is?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Wait, what? The swear filter is a Google rule? Or the 18 + is?

Its been like 3 years since i asked but it was based on their family friendly rules or something to that standard. MFP didnt go into too much details about it and i didnt question it.
  • ccsernica
    Options

That's bizarre, given Google's near-universal reach and the equally near-universal use of words.

They do seem to have developed a puritanntical streak though. There's an issue with monetizing YouTube vids with naughty words in them too.
  • psuLemon
    Options

That's bizarre, given Google's near-universal reach and the equally near-universal use of words.

They do seem to have developed a puritanntical streak though. There's an issue with monetizing YouTube vids with naughty words in them too.

You know, I have noticed that lately. I watch 1320 videos and for the past month, they have been bleeping all the curse words.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

You know, I have noticed that lately. I watch 1320 videos and for the past month, they have been bleeping all the curse words.

Hasn't affected my videos. #shamelessadvertizing.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It started out as an April Fool's joke last year, and the mods were so amused by it they kept it.
  • FindingAwesome
    FindingAwesome Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    I believe it's what MFPthe moderators of the forum use to blank out swear words

FIFY.

Actually started as a joke, but after reading some things, it was funny and better than "***"; so we left it as kitten.

You need to change it up though. Maybe do a poll once every 3 months to see what word should be used.

:)

Well, the one year anniversary is rolling around, so you never know what the mods MFP will do next.

FIFY. Hehe