Oatmeal

Options
So I've been eating oatmeal for lunch. 2 regular instant packets with a half of a scoop of protein powder. Is that considered a "healthy" option for a lunch? Any comments or opinions are welcome!

Replies

• HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    if it works for your goals then absolutely! I love oatmeal and find it keeps me full and happy until my next meal. Is there a reason you think it's not a healthy choice?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not really how it works. You need to see your diet as a whole. Get in as much variety as you can (think food groups, colors, fresh), eat enough, but not too much (hit your calorie goal), and eat food you like (you know what that is).
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I eat overnight oats, quick and easy and I eat it after my 5am workout right before or at work.
    My diary is open (I think?) if you'd like to see.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Great way to get some fiber and protein in your day, but I get bored eating the same thing over and over. And for me that leads to going downstairs at work to one of the delicious restaurants nearby. But if that works for you and you are getting other nutrients from breakfast and dinner then go for it.
  • SFarris829
    SFarris829 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I tend to eat the same things everyday and I don't get bored with it. I pick oatmeal because there isn't a lot of prep involved with it. I just grab the packets and portion my powder and I'm good to go. It keeps me full until i get home from work which is good because our office has candy EVERYWHERE! I was concerned about the carbs in 2 packets. But carbs are good for energy and good in general as long as I dont go over my daily goal?
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like you've found an excellent choice that keeps you on track, carbs are definitely not the enemy, especially if they help keep you from grabbing candy and you enjoy them. (I feel you, my office is the same way! today there is literally chocolate everywhere, eek!)
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ugh, our office has a huge box of Russell Stover in the kitchen, someone hit up their outlet for their 'oops' candies. Totally understand finding something easy to keep you away from that!
  • SFarris829
    Options
    I don't feel so weird now! :) It doesn't really help that people at work are like " oatmeal again?" or "why do you put that stuff in there?" hahaha!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I eat oatmeal with protein powder until I get sick of it. Then I switch to greek yogurt with protein powder until I get sick of that. Then back to oatmeal... you see the pattern. ;)
  • SFarris829
    Options
    I just saw that, mixing protein powder with yogurt, on Facebook! Think the video called them "power pods"? I like the Dannon Okios Triple Zero Greek Yogurt. The Vanilla is my favorite but the triple berry is yummy too!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    SFarris829 wrote: »
    I just saw that, mixing protein powder with yogurt, on Facebook! Think the video called them "power pods"? I like the Dannon Okios Triple Zero Greek Yogurt. The Vanilla is my favorite but the triple berry is yummy too!

I just use plain greek yogurt. The powder provides the flavor/sweetness. Quest Salted Caramel protein powder is my favorite for this!
  • SFarris829
    Options
    I have Muscletech Phase 8 chocolate right now that im using. My husband bought it and doesnt like it but I do so i figured id use it. But I want to try quest next
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Well *kitten*.......I eat oatmeal fairly regularly and I never thought about adding protein powder to it. I am going to have to try that.