Helmets are your friend

Options
denversillygoose
denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Just a friendly reminder that helmets save lives! My father-in-law wrecked his bicycle on Sunday. He was riding alone, must have hit a pothole and ate concrete. We went over the handlebars and blacked out. He doesn't remember the accident or the few hours after. His helmet was completely cracked and he has some road rash on his face, all indicating that he landed on his head. Without that helmet, he would not be with us right now. I like him. He takes us out for fabulous sushi dinners and treats me like a daughter. I want him around.

I for one, look like a total dingus in a helmet.
b4vt4hq84k8d.jpg
But my man still thinks I'm hot.

Be safe out there!

PS- The bike is okay

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    My Father's deceased because he, didn't wear a helmet during; a motorcycle ride around the block!
  • denversillygoose
    Options
    My Father's deceased because he, didn't wear a helmet during; a motorcycle ride around the block!

Oh, I'm so sorry!
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Just a friendly reminder that helmets save lives! My father-in-law wrecked his bicycle on Sunday. He was riding alone, must have hit a pothole and ate concrete. We went over the handlebars and blacked out. He doesn't remember the accident or the few hours after. His helmet was completely cracked and he has some road rash on his face, all indicating that he landed on his head. Without that helmet, he would not be with us right now. I like him. He takes us out for fabulous sushi dinners and treats me like a daughter. I want him around.

I for one, look like a total dingus in a helmet.
    b4vt4hq84k8d.jpg
    But my man still thinks I'm hot.

Be safe out there!

PS- The bike is okay

Thanks for the reminder.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

Oh, I'm so sorry!

Thank you, very much!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Here's my bike after a car driver turned without looking. Picked it up in two pieces.

yy8hhky618d6.jpg

Three point landing on hands and head, helmet cracked and badly compressed right over my temple but no head injury. Only half a mile from home dressed in bright clothing, lights blinking and perfect visibility.

It's certainly not a "good look" wearing a cycle helmet but glad I did. Bikes can be repaired or replaced.....

I've been in a similar situation, though the car got the worst of it from where my head/helmet impacted their quarter panel. Thankfully, I've always been a believer in helmets.
  • denversillygoose
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    <<<I always wear a helmet...

A few years ago I was in a bad bicycle accident when my front tire went a little low on air and I didn't notice. I was doing about 20 MPH and rounded a soft corner and my tire peeled away from my wheel throwing me over the handle bars. Some joggers found me dazed and confused with a cracked helmet and two jacked up rotator cuffs. I was also wearing my Road ID bracelet so they were able to get a hold of my wife to come get me as I didn't have the wherewithal to call...

I highly recommend Road ID as well...

https://www.roadid.com/?referrer=8929&gclid=CNONoqj259ICFY8AaQodf-oNTQ

roadid_catalog_elite.png

I never ride without it either...

I always wear mine and I just bought the FIL one. He had an id in his jersey pocket, but no one looks there.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    A car ran a red light a year and a half ago and got me.

This was the ambulance ride

29946953383_6827454753_o_d.jpg

and this was the emergency room

30492917511_9f2eee1f6d_z_d.jpg
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Glad u guys are all ok!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    A great reminder. I've been hit twice.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Here's my bike after a car driver turned without looking. Picked it up in two pieces.

yy8hhky618d6.jpg

Three point landing on hands and head, helmet cracked and badly compressed right over my temple but no head injury. Only half a mile from home dressed in bright clothing, lights blinking and perfect visibility.

It's certainly not a "good look" wearing a cycle helmet but glad I did. Bikes can be repaired or replaced.....

Just needs a little duct tape is all.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the roadid reference. I'm ordering mine today!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    When I was hit, I had a Live Track session going, so Beth could see my whereabouts on a map. We thought of it as a safety feature, like if I wind up in a ditch, she'll know where to find my body. Anyway, she heard about me getting hit when I called her on the phone.
  • columbus2015
    columbus2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I always wear a helmet (and glasses...protect those eyes!) and keep a live track going so the wife knows how to find me. More than once I've thought I should have better ID/Emergency contact info with me... will look into the road id...thanks for that
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The best advice I was given, after wear a helmet was, not to drop the handlebars. A car came out of a side turning and did not see me. He'd seen my teenage son and did not look for anything else. My front wheel was at right angles. I fought to keep the bars up. I was so lucky, as a single parent way back then I could not afford in any way shape or form, hospital or end up in plaster, shaken I walked away, able to work.

I feel for those of you, and as family, who were on the sharp end of anything similar.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    My grandfather died in a bike/truck collision when I was young. No helmet.

My father woke up in the hospital after a crash a couple of years back. Some broken bones, 8 hours unconscious, but he's OK. Helmet cracked. I bought him a new one, and got myself a matching one.

I always wear the helmet and my RoadID. It has contact info and blood type on it.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You look pretty, and pretty smart to me with your helmet, OP.

A close friend did the same thing (header over handlebars). Had the helmet on, which cracked when his head connected with the concrete curb. That was 4 years ago, and he is doing just fine because of wearing a helmet.

A very important reminder for us all, and make sure your kids wear them too!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I always wear a helmet (and glasses...protect those eyes!) and keep a live track going so the wife knows how to find me. More than once I've thought I should have better ID/Emergency contact info with me... will look into the road id...thanks for that

On a bike, you can easily do 40 mph going down a hill, and there are bugs and other things in the air. Some type of glasses (sun, vision, safety) are as important as a helmet.