Goal: Real push-ups

Options
I can't do even one push-up. Not even the "girly" kind. I can barely do a wall push-up, much less a counter or bench push-up. What are some strength training exercises I can do for the muscles needed for a push-up?

I'd also like to be about to do pull-ups. Same question... What are some strength training exercises I can do for the muscles needs for pull-ups?

Thanks, y'all!

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Since "(you) can barely do a wall push-up" start there. Once you can do those go to, "a counter or (then) bench push-up" then, once you can do those go to " the "girly" kind" and from there regular push-ups. Start with the less strenuous version that you can do and progress from there to your goal.

Push ups will help pull ups. If you have access to an assisted pull up machine use it with the lightest counter balance weight you can manage and progress from there. If you just have a pull up bar, do negative pull ups. Stand on a chair, or something, that gets you above the bar. Grasp the bar, pick up you feet and lower yourself slowly using the "something" as a safety. Eventually you will be able to pull yourself up. Start with one and increase as you are able.
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you can barely do one wall push up...then start there. Keep trying until you can do one good wall push up. After that see if you can do 2 wall push ups. Get to where you can do 10 good wall push ups. After that, revisit the "girly" kind. You'll make it. Keep going. You CAN DO IT!!!