Running my 1st half marathon this Saturday

Options
What do i do this week? Workout? I like to run at lunchtime, should i skip running for the week? Attempt a yoga class? I don't want to just sit around, I also dont want to be sore.
Thanks for the help

Replies

• punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ran 8 on Sunday, typical training - running, strength training, cross training. Im not the fittest but I'm trying. Felt confident on Sunday that 13.1 is totally attainable.
    Don't want DOMS so I'm skipping yoga, its not something I do regularly.
    Thanks!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above about not doing anything new.

The training programs I've used will have you do a few short runs the week of the race with two full rest days preceding the race. I'm thinking you could still do some light exercise those days like go for a walk, but nothing that would make you sore.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Most of the training plans I have done have a few short runs the week of the race. I recently did a 10-mile race and I rested totally two days before the race and did 2 miles the day before. It worked well for me.

Good luck!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    It really depends on what your training has looked like. Generally, you will want to scale back both your mileage and intensity, but don't stop running altogether. If you do yoga regularly, then definitely do a class. Otherwise, I would skip it because it could result in some DOMS if it's poses you are not used to. Take a rest day on Thursday and do an easy, slow shake out run of 2-3 miles on Friday. Good luck!

I agree with this.

I generally try to do enough to keep me moving and in my normal rhythm, but not enough to really tax my body.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    It really depends on what your training has looked like. Generally, you will want to scale back both your mileage and intensity, but don't stop running altogether. If you do yoga regularly, then definitely do a class. Otherwise, I would skip it because it could result in some DOMS if it's poses you are not used to. Take a rest day on Thursday and do an easy, slow shake out run of 2-3 miles on Friday. Good luck!

Ditto this. It depends on how you've trained, and what kind of running capability/base you've built up. For a first half marathon, I'd guess that 13 miles is about as far as you've run and the race is a major effort. If this is the case, I favor a total rest day the day before the race.

If you have a training plan that includes a taper, honor the taper. Less is more in the final week. It will be frustrating mentally. You will feel like you're not running enough. You will worry that you're losing the fitness you've worked hard to achieve. You may think of race day as "when I'm allowed to run again." Then when you get to the start line, you should be physically healthy and mentally ready to take off like a coiled spring.

Note that this is advice for a first half marathon, under the assumption that this is a personal long distance for you. Things look different for people who have previously run half marathons, who have run 15 to 16 miles in training, or who have trained for full marathons.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What do i do this week?

What does your plan say?

Fwiw for a half I'd do a mild taper, reduce volume but maintain intensity.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Have fun at your race! One piece of advice - don't go out too fast.
  • deetucker70
    deetucker70 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would second the don't go out too fast advice. Did my first half in November. Thought I wouldn't get caught up in the excitement and would pace myself as I did in training. Unfortunately, I got excited and went out too fast. The last two miles were pretty rough because of it
  • deetucker70
    deetucker70 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not sure why my post got cut off. Anyway, I ran a couple of miles the day before race just to loosen up and shake off nerves. Good luck and have fun!
  • punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!