De-loading deadlifts on SL 5x5

Options
mreichard
mreichard Posts: 235 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing SL for quite a while, and my DL are at about 340 for 1x5. I want to de-load and really work on nailing the form. My question is the best weight and number of reps to move to. 340 for 5 reps is not super hard, but I think I sometimes raise my hips too quickly and lift with my back too much at that weight. So, should I go all the way down to like 225 (which feels very light and doesn't really feel like a deadlift) and do like 3x5 or 5x5 or even 3x10, or should I stay closer to my current work weight and just back off a bit and focus on form?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you suspect you have form issues with DL you should be getting a PT, or someone that knows what they are talking about, to observe your lifts - the dead lift is not easily fixed alone.

This usually involves working at different weights, since form is sometimes excellent at lower weights but collapses when the going gets tough. It can also happen the other way, where too low a weight causes poor form - This is me with squats, empty bar = crap but load it up and my form gets better.

Once you have identified the maximum weight you can lift with excellent form you can begin to plan a routine to bring that weight up, usually by working at or below that weight for more reps or more sets for a period of time.

This is not really the same as de-loading which is more to do with giving your body (esp CNS) a break from the grind.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you need to work on form, one way is to pick a weight you can do a comfortable but challenging single, and just pull singles until you nail your form. its hard to maintain DL form through sets Since the set up is critical and you have to be able to reset after every pull. Pulling singles gives you time to stop and focus on the set up and your form.
    Adding volume at a lower weight isn't gonna help your form. Maybe try Pull less reps with more focus, rather than more reps with less weight.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You say you "think" you have bad form. Have you videoed yourself to look at, ideally from multiple angles? This is where I really like SL web site, very detailed in terms of how each part of the body should operate during a lift.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Agreed with getting a video. Post it in the ETP group and you'll get some good feedback.

Even if you don't post it, you might be surprised. A few months ago, I pulled a new max, but thought I was all rounded back and whatnot. Nope - the video showed my form was still solid. It just "felt" wrong.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would drop down to a weight that would grant me 5 reps with desired form where 5lbs more would effect my form and start from there.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Singles all day, if you're really able to set up properly, that fixes a lot of dead lift issues. And with singles you really don't even need to go much lighter or could even keep increasing weight. I say do at least three or four, five if you drop weight significantly.