Fish Oil

Options
Does anyone take fish oil? Do you think the taste is worth the health benefits?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yep! I don't notice any taste when I take mine.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat so much fish that I really don't see the need, for me, personally.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to take one tablet a day for high cholesterol. It's also helpful for joint aches and pains. I take mine as a capsule, so I get the occasional "fish burps", but can't taste it other than that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When I was taking it, I never noticed a taste. But now that I get seafood 3-5x a week, I don't even take it. But I suspect brands will vary.

If you want to look at quality, I would take a look at www.labdoor.com
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    they make them with a special coating to help eliminate the fish burps.
  • jonnymopar
    jonnymopar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I take the burp-less capsules every day. My cholesterol has never been higher than 185, but my HDL has always been too low. My doctor told me that fish oil supplements might help straighten things out a bit. We shall see.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love Barlean's liquid, it tastes like lemon icing.
    https://www.amazon.com/Barleans-Organic-Oils-16-Ounce-Bottle-Packing/dp/B002VLZ8BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490119882&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=barlean+lemon+swirl&psc=1

I usually just take it in cold weather, it helps my skin from being so dry and itchy all the time.
  • dhadley1970
    dhadley1970 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally, my doctor just told me yesterday it's great for lowering bad cholesterol. (So is a healthy diet and exercise, obviously). I used to take it but got the "fishy burps" as many people do, but I heard you can buy "no burp fish oil". Going to try crystalewhite's link above and will shop for fish oil in bulk (Amazon or Sam's). If doc says it's good, I'm in.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I take the no-burp kind. It actually helps with dry eyes/skin in the winter and with achy joints in general.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is about the only supplement where science supports the use. I take it regularly and get whatever is on sale. Currently taking the GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil and not getting any of the fish burbs.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I take it daily, it's helped my circulation and definitely helped make my heart stronger over the last couple of years. I notice my resting heart rate is much lower when taking fish oil on a regular basis as well. I buy it in caplets that are coated extra so you don't get fish burps later on, it's a little more expensive that way but worth it.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I eat so much fish that I really don't see the need, for me, personally.

+1
    We have the foil salmon packs several days a week. My good cholesterol was excellent.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I take it daily, it's helped my circulation and definitely helped make my heart stronger over the last couple of years. I notice my resting heart rate is much lower when taking fish oil on a regular basis as well. I buy it in caplets that are coated extra so you don't get fish burps later on, it's a little more expensive that way but worth it.

Fish oil lowered your RHR? wow
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    salmon twice a week so I no longer eat the pills...