Is it a bad idea to weigh myself everyday?

Options
2»

Replies

• cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's not bad at all if it's working for you. I weigh myself every single morning before eating. Keeping the time of day consistent. I find that it keeps me on track better. If I see I gained anything then I know right away that maybe I need to adjust something. If I lose then it lets me know I'm doing the right things and it motivates me to keep going that day too!

I say whatever works for you. There's no right or wrong when it comes to tracking your own progress.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference. I weigh 5 days a week (M-F) and track the results in Libra because that allows me to see the trend across a given period of time (daily fluctuations do not bother me) - the only thing that I really pay attention to is the trend and not the daily numbers.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh every day, because I'm a geek and I find the fluctuations interesting.

People always think that the fluctuations will be discouraging, but for me, it's the opposite. Weighing once a week, I didn't trust the numbers, because who knows if I'm weighing on a day when I'm slightly up or slightly down? That would generally make my weekly weigh-in completely meaningless to me. Not enough data.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    Once a day - who wants to wait a week to find that weight is sneaking back on
    Keeping track of calories and exercise would accomplish the same thing, wouldn't it?

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Keeping track of calories and exercise would accomplish the same thing, wouldn't it?

It would if you were certain your tracking is accurate. One way to be sure your tracking is accurate is to compare it to expected results (your weight) over a reasonable period of time.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So if you weigh in everyday, how often do you 'track it' here on MFP?
  • WrecklessRob
    WrecklessRob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week (Wed, Sun)... it's far enough apart that I usually have at least a little loss and I don't have to wait a full week for another weigh-in.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    So if you weigh in everyday, how often do you 'track it' here on MFP?

I picked up a Withings scales on a clearance table, so anytime I step on it it updates MFP, Garmin, and Trendweight. If I step on it more than once a day, Trendweight ignores the new weight and MFP and Garmin toss out the first weight, but they all only record one a day. I did this as an experiment and don't step on it more than once a day.

Even before I got this scale, I put it in MFP, which synced it to Garmin.
  • pikachuFL
    pikachuFL Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every morning to start the day off with my weight loss goals in mind. It helps me get in the right frame of mind to do my exercise, drink my water, and log everything in. I don't get discouraged by temporary ups and downs because I've been doing this long enough to expect them. The only weighing that really matters is the one at the end of the week!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I can't weigh myself every day or even every week anymore. The fluctuating numbers disturb me. I'm down to once per month! So far, that's working well.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I was weighing weekly at first, but I found myself wondering what I weighed after a particularly good or bad day, so I started weighing daily, and have never looked back!

I love knowing how my weight is reacting to what I did the previous day. I have a scale in my closet and weigh myself every morning before I get dressed.

Seeing my weight go up sometimes still hurts me a little, but the steady flow of data is helping me learn a lot! Totally worth it! And the sodium/water weight thing is NO JOKE. I almost always gain weight after a high sodium day, even if my calories in and out were on point.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, first thing in the AM naked after doing my business.... and then log it into the Happy Scale app. I log new losses into MFP. LOVE the app, and the more data points the more accurate it is (hence the daily logging).
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, always have. I have discovered these fascinating facts:

1. My weight varies on a daily basis.... a lot.

2. ......Ummmm nope that is it. :)

No problem weighing daily as long as you don't allow a higher figure to affect the way you feel for the rest of the day, your weight will bobble up and down on a daily even hourly basis. As long as the trend is downward over time then all is well .
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I like to weigh every day, because I'm a geek and I find the fluctuations interesting.

People always think that the fluctuations will be discouraging, but for me, it's the opposite. Weighing once a week, I didn't trust the numbers, because who knows if I'm weighing on a day when I'm slightly up or slightly down? That would generally make my weekly weigh-in completely meaningless to me. Not enough data.

This exactly:
    "because who knows if I'm weighing on a day when I'm slightly up or slightly down? That would generally make my weekly weigh-in completely meaningless to me. Not enough data"

I'd like to add, you shouldn't really base your eating on your morning weigh ins because of fluctuations...if it's up a ton then I can understand eating less, same with a real big low, eating a bit more but nothing like a .5 fluctuation.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I used to get really freaked out about weigh-ins, until I started writing myself every day. That helped me see past the water fluctuations that are normal for all people (and can be worse for women) and get past all the emotional baggage I'd invested in the number.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options

It would if you were certain your tracking is accurate. One way to be sure your tracking is accurate is to compare it to expected results (your weight) over a reasonable period of time.
    If I'm understanding the post that I was replying to, he was advocating weighing yourself every day so that you could predict if your weight was going to creep up, instead of waiting for a week to pass and find out that it had.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Not at all - if you trust your calorie count and exercise burn - then you know what your weight will be - no need to weigh ever