How do you get over gym anxiety?

Options
2»

Replies

• CaffeineAngel
    CaffeineAngel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tend to just work out early in the morning. I suffer pretty badly from anxiety and a crowded gym means a lot of noise, no personal space and a lot of body heat for me. Nothing personal, but heat and sudden loud noises (aka someone dropping weights) tends to scare the heck out of me.

I'm also the only girl heading down to the free weights and prefer to get things like squats and bench presses done before a lot of the big and burly guys get down that end of the gym :). Not saying the men at my gym aren't unpleasant, just my weirdness kicking in. On the upside, I actually prefer working out first thing to wake me up (as I tend to work early in the mornings I'm up at 3-4am anyway, even on days off), and my gym is like five minutes walk away from where I live.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Lisseth03 wrote: »
    Long story short, I've developed this intimidation by gyms when they're packed, it's to the point where I started work at 6:30AM today so I woke up at 3:30 to work out just to avoid having to go in the pm when it's crazy busy. Anyone else go through this or am I just weird?
    It wasn't always like that, yeaaars back I had lost about 20 lbs and I was regularly going to the gym. After some time I gained half of it back and that was when the feeling intimidated happened. Back in Canada I joined a womens only gym and got a personal trainer and it really did help. I'm living in New Zealand now and have been going to the gym for about 4 months now but I can't seem to get that intimidation process out of my head. &frankly i'm starting to get tired of waking up so early, I eat more cuz i'm awake longer, and i'm constantly tired. I know I should just suck it up and go in the pm, and I have sometimes but the intimidation is still there. Anyone been through this and got over it?
    One of the comments I hear from my clients is that I've definitely helped them to overcome intimidation in the gym. Especially when I walk them up into the dumbbell racks and seat them right there. Likely has to do because there's conversation with us only and that the client is focused on the training and not what's going on around them. Maybe get another trainer and train at the time you want to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I tend to just work out early in the morning. I suffer pretty badly from anxiety and a crowded gym means a lot of noise, no personal space and a lot of body heat for me. Nothing personal, but heat and sudden loud noises (aka someone dropping weights) tends to scare the heck out of me.

I'm also the only girl heading down to the free weights and prefer to get things like squats and bench presses done before a lot of the big and burly guys get down that end of the gym :). Not saying the men at my gym aren't unpleasant, just my weirdness kicking in. On the upside, I actually prefer working out first thing to wake me up (as I tend to work early in the mornings I'm up at 3-4am anyway, even on days off), and my gym is like five minutes walk away from where I live.

wow, what time do you go to bed if you're there that early?
    and i feel you 100%!
    that's how I feel regarding wanting to get the machines out of the way before the guys get them.
  • Lisseth03
    Options
    Ninerbuff. I do have an online coach that provides me workouts, and whenever I get a chance my bf and I train together in the evenings and even though it's packed I find it helps when I have someone there guiding me.
    Update though. I went at 5:30 this morning and it was only slightly busy, not so much, but busier then it is at 4:30 (because it's dead) So I figure if I can get used to the quantity of people at 5:30 I can work my way up to later.
    Though I do like getting it out of the way in the morning, just not waking up at 4:15. But knowing that I'm not the only one who has these thoughts makes me feel so much better, thanks everyone for your kind responses :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Not weird to me. I used to get up about that early every day so I could have a nice gym with available equipment and not have to fight anyone for the showers. Plus I liked getting it in early and setting the mood for my day.
    Now I have a home gym, so the only crowd I have to avoid is my crazy dogs who want to lick me while I stretch and poke me in the butt while I squat.
  • Lisseth03
    Options
    UPDATE:
    I went in the pm after work a while ago, I marched right in there, but I wasn't feeling it. I wasn't even anxious at how many people were there, I noticed everyone was doing their own thing but it WAS SO EFFIN BUSY OMG, I wasn't scared though, I was just annoyed at how busy it was and the lack of space. So back to morning workouts it is.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I was just annoyed at how busy it was and the lack of space. So back to morning workouts it is.

This is why I get up at 5am and go to the gym. I hate being around loads of other people and there are very few in my gym at 5.30am. It also means I can use whatever equipment I like without having to wait. It tends to be a bit friendlier as there are certain people who go at that time of day, most of whom I recognise on sight and occasionally speak to.

I've never felt judged, or that people are looking at me (a relative newbie) - they all appear to be too busy doing their own thing, as I am. If I catch someone's eye, or they catch mine, I smile. It breaks the ice a little :)

I also like an empty changing room and showers! I may sound like a prude here but I really do not like walking into the changing room to face someone's naked butt/other jiggly bits. The showers are big enough to shower and change in, I don't see the need for people to walk around totally starkers. If they don't want to use the huge shower cubicles to change in, why can't they walk about with a towel around them? It does make me uncomfortable, but getting in early stops this as there aren't many women in the gym that early.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    UPDATE:
    I went in the pm after work a while ago, I marched right in there, but I wasn't feeling it. I wasn't even anxious at how many people were there, I noticed everyone was doing their own thing but it WAS SO EFFIN BUSY OMG, I wasn't scared though, I was just annoyed at how busy it was and the lack of space. So back to morning workouts it is.

That's main reason I like mornings. I found between 6:45 and 8:00 is a good time at my gym. There seems to be a big rush at 6AM when they open but most of those people are in the locker room getting ready for work by 6:45. I've gone earlier and had trouble getting on the good treadmills. The gym I go to is less the 5 minutes from work.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't do gyms due to the intimidation factor and the fact I would have to have someone drive me or walk there which would take me about 45 minutes so there isn't much point.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    This is why I workout at home.