Why am I gaining weight on 1200 calories?

Options
124»

Replies

• nikkibay8
    nikkibay8 Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yes, my calculations are EXACT. I've been eating extremely simply with no cooking other than oats. I use the barcode for every single food entry and double check that the nutrients make sense.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    nikkibay8 wrote: »
    Yes, my calculations are EXACT. I've been eating extremely simply with no cooking other than oats. I use the barcode for every single food entry and double check that the nutrients make sense.

Are you weighing those, consumables with; a food scale? I once had a Hot Pocket that, was suppose to be approximately 300 calories according to; the box but was, approximately 500 calories when; I weighed it!
  • nikkibay8
    nikkibay8 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yep, I use the scale for EVERYTHING. It used to take me forever but now I zip through my meals super quickly.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    also check all your barcodes - compared with the nutrition info - because they can be wrong
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP, please open your diary.

Do you log all that you eat, drink and cook with?

Are you close to ovulation or your period?

Have you had any high sodium days!

I'm willing to place my bets on water retention from exercise.
    susb wrote: »
    You're probably not eating enough for the amount of excercise you're getting. Your body will think you're starving and go into a starvation mode to protect you. 1,200 calories is low for a young woman. I am 62 and that is the area I am in to create a deficit.

I would up my calories to at least 1,400 to 1,600 and still do all of the things you're doing to be accountable for your intake each day.

As someone above stated, pay attention to your clothing. Weight can vary based on many factors. As you've already heard weight lifting produces more muscle mass and muscle is more dense than fat. This is good because additional muscle burns more calories in everything we do.

Make sure you weigh yourself in the morning on the same with your clothes off and before you eat breakfast.

No. Starvation mode is a myth.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    jetsman37 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are gaining muscle weight- which is a good thing. If lifting is a key part of your routine I would focus on body composition rather than the weigjt on the scale. Are your clothes looser? That is a good sign you are losing fat weight but gaining muscle which will help you torch more calories moving forwards.

Absolutely not. Not that much in that time frame, and certainly not that much (even noob gains) on 1200.