C25- what is it?

Options
Zara_Pi
Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
I'd never heard of it until someone mentioned it on another post and said it stands for couch to 5 and is a running program for beginners.

I've just had a quick look online and it says the first week, there's three workouts that are 30 mins.
Are these split over days or all need to be done same day?

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K (C25K) is a program designed to take you from not running at all to being able to run a 5K (3.1 mile) race. A lot of us runners started with C25K. If I remember correctly, it calls for about 30 minutes each of 3 or 4 days per week. The basic concept is to gradually work from walking a little/ running a little, to running more and walking less, to being able to run for 30 minutes straight over a a set number of weeks. Go for it!
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Couch to 5K (C25K) is a program designed to take you from not running at all to being able to run a 5K (3.1 mile) race. A lot of us runners started with C25K. If I remember correctly, it calls for about 30 minutes each of 3 or 4 days per week. The basic concept is to gradually work from walking a little/ running a little, to running more and walking less, to being able to run for 30 minutes straight over a a set number of weeks. Go for it!

Great. Thanks for that. Will start it today, but I'll be doing the treadmill version.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I did C25K on the treadmill. Have you been doing much walking/running so far? One thing is I do think it can be a bit much for someone truly moving from the couch and would suggest not starting it unless you can comfortably walk for 30-60 minutes. If your avatar is a current you, then I don't see an issue. But I didn't try it until I had lost 45 lbs and was well under 300. If I had I really think I could have hurt myself.

There are apps out there (I used the Zenn Labs one which is 8 weeks) that will help you. It is to be done 3 days a week.

Don't worry if you need to repeat weeks etc.

There is a group here dedicated to the C25K, and they are helpful.

Good luck
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    I did C25K on the treadmill. Have you been doing much walking/running so far? One thing is I do think it can be a bit much for someone truly moving from the couch and would suggest not starting it unless you can comfortably walk for 30-60 minutes. If your avatar is a current you, then I don't see an issue. But I didn't try it until I had lost 45 lbs and was well under 300. If I had I really think I could have hurt myself.

There are apps out there (I used the Zenn Labs one which is 8 weeks) that will help you. It is to be done 3 days a week.

Good luck

Hey thanks very much for the advice.
    That picture is me from last year.

Currently I'm not overweight, my bmi is 20. I'm trying to lose some excess fat I have and gain some muscle. (I've got about 7lbs to lose)
    I've been going out for brisk walks daily for the last week for about 20-30mins. I e also been to the gym a couple of times in the last two days just using the treadmill.

I went to the gym today and completed the the first workout. And I didn't find it too difficult. I could've done it for another 15mins, so took that as a positive sign that I'm not as unfit as I thought!

And I came home feeling full of energy! Which was a great feeling!

I'be downloaded Zenn Labs also. That woman's voice is so annoying!
    How did you find the C25K? How long did it take you to complete it?
    Did you have to repeat any weeks?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »

Good luck

Currently I'm not overweight, my bmi is 20. I'm trying to lose some excess fat I have and gain some muscle. (I've got about 7lbs to lose)
    I've been going out for brisk walks daily for the last week for about 20-30mins. I e also been to the gym a couple of times in the last two days just using the treadmill.

I went to the gym today and completed the the first workout. And I didn't find it too difficult. I could've done it for another 15mins, so took that as a positive sign that I'm not as unfit as I thought!

It took me one extra week, but only because I slightly sprained a toe snowshoeing, so unrelated to the C25K but I had to take a week off. I didn't repeat weeks. But I was already doing 30 mins of intervals before I started. You should have no issue starting it at your weight.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Good luck

Couch to 5k is a fine general beginning running program but slow distance running won't build much muscle. Need progressive resistance work for that.

• Zara_Pi
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Good luck

Couch to 5k is a fine general beginning running program but slow distance running won't build much muscle. Need progressive resistance work for that.

I'm doing this to improve my overall fitness.
    I'm also doing the 30 day shred. Once Ive competed these, I will be moving on to weights to gain muscle and tone up.

So will be posting questions on that in a couple of months time!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Good luck

^^^Cosign. You might want to consider picking up weights and doing a recomp rather than hamster wheeling with the cardio (although C25K is a GREAT program). I think you will be pleased with the results. Also make sure to get enough protein for muscle building.
  • Zara_Pi
    Options

Good luck

^^^Cosign. You might want to consider picking up weights and doing a recomp rather than hamster wheeling with the cardio (although C25K is a GREAT program). I think you will be pleased with the results. Also make sure to get enough protein for muscle building.

Thanks. I'm doing the 30 day shred also which includes a bit of weights. After I have completed both these, I will be focusing on weights, but will probably continue doing light cardio, like going for brisk walks or something.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Good luck

Thanks. I'm doing the 30 day shred also which includes a bit of weights. After I have completed both these, I will be focusing on weights, but will probably continue doing light cardio, like going for brisk walks or something.

Sorry, I think my answer came across as more dismissive of cardio than I had intended. I do a ton of cardio, including biking, walking, arc trainer, occasionally running, etc. But lifting is where you will really get the results you are looking for. 30 Day Shred is a great start to ease into it.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Great. Thanks for that. Will start it today, but I'll be doing the treadmill version.

I did most of C25K on the treadmill as well. Glad you are off to such a good start. You may be tempted to do more than the program call for at first, but don't. The program will push you soon enough.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    At age 61, never a runner, I did it 8 weeks, no repeats, and in fact i skipped through a few days at the end. I ran the full 30 min, but it took me awhile longer to get the full distance. My 5k event took 43 min. I started out thinking it would be a miracle if I could run even 1 mile. It probably was! I haven't run since Aug because I got access to a pool and I much prefer swimmimg. But if I can run that far, ANYONE can!
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    At age 61, never a runner, I did it 8 weeks, no repeats, and in fact i skipped through a few days at the end. I ran the full 30 min, but it took me awhile longer to get the full distance. My 5k event took 43 min. I started out thinking it would be a miracle if I could run even 1 mile. It probably was! I haven't run since Aug because I got access to a pool and I much prefer swimmimg. But if I can run that far, ANYONE can!

It's true. The program should be called, "Couch to 30 minutes". I believe very few, if any people are doing a 30 minute 5K upon completion of the program. In fact, a 30 minute 5K is a pretty good speed that will take most people a while to achieve if that is your goal but it's a great way to open the door to a great exercise.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm currently ready for week 2 day2, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm doing it on the road, though, and it's pretty hilly, I just do what ever it asks me to, where ever I happen to be on the hills