Skipping breakfast may increase heart attack risk

Options
nas061
nas061 Posts: 256 Member
Research published in the journal "Circulation" is reported in many online news sources this morning.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/22/skipping-breakfast-heart-attack-risk/2575723/

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/128/4/337.abstract?sid=d9d059a9-2174-4adb-beca-9347c303d976

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/skipping-your-breakfast-can-increase-the-risk-of-heart-attack-by-almost-30-8726919.html

"Skipping breakfast can increase your risk of a heart attack or fatal coronary heart disease by as much as 27 per cent, a new study has found."

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Sounds legit... for average american Joe who does not watch what he eats, does not count calories and does not exercise. I will take a wild guess and say that it is NOT majority of people here at MFP, at least.

If you watch calories and ate healthy then obesity and negative effects caused by over eating later in day will be prevented. Also blood sugar spike negative impact will be prevented if you do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day.

There were too many studies on people eating timings and nonsense like that. Eating is not a problem... it's a lifestyle. Most of people does not work out, they do not watch how healthy foods they ate, they don't even watch in what amounts they ate them. If you do, then all those problems are magically solved...
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    People who missed breakfast were more likely to be smokers, unmarried and drink more alcohol than those who eat their morning meal, the study found

And yet they claim in the study that these facts had no part in contributing to the heart attacks? :huh:

“We ruled out everything except for the timing of the meal – the actual breaking of fast,” Dr Cahill told The Independent.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    well... I do not have my first meal of the day until after 12 noon. I have a window between 12 noon and 7pm that I eat. I don't think my risk of heart attack is increased, my cholesterol is just above 100, my average blood pressure is 105/70 and my resting heart rate is between 55-58... id say im pretty heart healthy, and my md would agree...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    well... I do not have my first meal of the day until after 12 noon. I have a window between 12 noon and 7pm that I eat. I don't think my risk of heart attack is increased, my cholesterol is just above 100, my average blood pressure is 105/70 and my resting heart rate is between 55-58... id say im pretty heart healthy, and my md would agree...

Bragger, next thing you know you'll be saying you lost 83 pounds :huh:

:laugh:
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i love breakfast. i can eat almost anything i want because i have all day to burn it off. ill skip dinner now and then, but never breakfast.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Episode 4 Return of the breakfast companies.
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    And yet, doesn't the new 5:2 craze claim that IT is better for the body (healthier heart, lower risk of cancer etc) because putting it under occasional stress boosts its own defence mechanisms? That involves a fair amount of breakfast skipping.

Who knows what to believe....I guess we're all dead in the end, right.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every day!
    At 2pm!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Correlation =/= Causation.

Edit to add: Study says

Conclusions—Eating breakfast was associated with significantly lower CHD risk in this cohort of male health professionals.

ASSOCIATION.. not CAUSATION.

:laugh:
  • SandraMartin3008
    SandraMartin3008 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right! I did skip breakfast a couple of times but have stopped now..
  • Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    it has everything to do with what you eat, and nothing to do with when you eat it.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    it has everything to do with what you eat, and nothing to do with when you eat it.

Yep!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    A few brain cells were lost to the study as well it appears.
    No association was observed between eating frequency (times per day) and risk of CHD.
  • nas061
    Options
    Just found a link to the full text of the original research article...

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/128/4/337.full
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Wait. what? :huh:
  • nas061
    Options
    No association was observed between eating frequency (times per day) and risk of CHD.

The paper seems to suggest 1 meal a day is OK as long as it's breakfast!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    This is nonsense!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every day!
    At 2pm!

likewise.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

The paper seems to suggest 1 meal a day is OK as long as it's breakfast!
    You have to love people that do research, just don't ask them to connect the dots.