Insomnia Anonymous

Options

Replies

• jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Sonata is next on my list of things to try. If my doctor will even let me try another drug. Sometimes I drink Sleepytime Extra tea (with Valerian), which is really good at helping me fall asleep. It's staying asleep that's the hard part. I have heard that Magnesium supplementation works well for a lot of people, but so far I haven't had any success with it.
  • strifechick
    strifechick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sonata is next on my list of things to try. If my doctor will even let me try another drug. Sometimes I drink Sleepytime Extra tea (with Valerian), which is really good at helping me fall asleep. It's staying asleep that's the hard part. I have heard that Magnesium supplementation works well for a lot of people, but so far I haven't had any success with it.

I take magnesium in the morning and at night to help with my migraines it doesn't do much with my sleep though.

My doctor wants to put me on lunesta but my insurance won't pay for it. They have rejected it like 3x now and I have had to try other things instead.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I always sleep 3-6 hours in a night. Last few days have been more towards the 3 side and not good sleep either. That is getting old as I get old.
  • strifechick
    Options
    I'm usually 2-4 a night. It's been 2 the least few. Just took my sonata so I'll see how it goes.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky to get 4 hours of sleep per night the last couple of weeks. I am about to take some melatonin and pass out until noon. Yay blackout curtains!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm at work. Shift work FTW!
  • tinat51796
    tinat51796 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use to take Ambien but I hated that I felt so tired in the morning. I've found essential oils and a sleep mask really help me to fall asleep and stay asleep. It's been a game changer for me!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Sleep masks do help me and I listen to Opera music, I find it distracting. I think I also get stressed out hearing about how much sleep you are "supposed" to get vs. what I get
  • jjejjtu
    Options
    Well, I made it to almost 1:30 am before waking up. Normally I'll make it to closer to 3 and then just be awake for the rest of the night. So maybe, since I'm up earlier, I will actually get back to sleep? That would be awesome. For now my plans include sitting on the couch, staring at the fire, and staring at my cats, who are staring at me. Will probably read and make more tea. Will also be a creepy neighbor and stare at the house across the street, wondering why on earth that couple in their late 80's is still up at 1:45 in the morning. So, I've got a pretty exciting night ahead of me.

@strifechick good luck with the Sonata, let me know how it goes
    @tinat51796 which essential oils are you using?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I have a husband that SNORES all night! I am going to bat him over the head with a pot!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I tried and failed, I don't think I slept all all last night. 11 hour work day today... Awesome

Have a good day tired people :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    How much melatonin are you taking? I used to do 10mg?

I do 5mg. Still not sure it's doing much, frankly, but it seems to make going back to sleep a bit easier. More than that and I'm worried I'll be completely out of it all day (I mean, one dose of Nyquill and I'm passed out in 20 minutes).
    I have a husband that SNORES all night! I am going to bat him over the head with a pot!

Mine wears a mask for sleep apnea. It doesn't make the snoring as bad but it just gets really loud sometimes and there's no way I can sleep through that... and he has restless leg syndrome at times too. Try sleeping with someone kicking next to you.

I end up sleeping in the downstairs recliner a LOT, but then I have to share it with my cat, and it's pretty tight.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

maybe try yoga nidra, helps calm the mind and entire body
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Try an elbow to the ribs. It gets it to stop temporarily & it is an effective outlet for my frustration at their ability to sleep when I cannot >:)
  • strifechick
    Options
    I managed about 4 hours last night with the Sonata. It actually made me somewhat tired when I took it but I woke up a millions times as usual.

It did make me feel kinda crappy when I did wake up when I normally feel fine and I'm a lot more tired now in the morning than I think I should be, because 4 hours is a lot for me and I'm usually not this groggy and blah feeling. This is why I stopped Ambien (and a few weird occurrences while on it). So I'm pretty sure it's the meds. I'll give it a couple more nights to be sure this isn't just some pre-migraine activity going on.

Overall not to happy with it.
  • tinat51796
    Options
    Well, I made it to almost 1:30 am before waking up. Normally I'll make it to closer to 3 and then just be awake for the rest of the night. So maybe, since I'm up earlier, I will actually get back to sleep? That would be awesome. For now my plans include sitting on the couch, staring at the fire, and staring at my cats, who are staring at me. Will probably read and make more tea. Will also be a creepy neighbor and stare at the house across the street, wondering why on earth that couple in their late 80's is still up at 1:45 in the morning. So, I've got a pretty exciting night ahead of me.

@strifechick good luck with the Sonata, let me know how it goes
    @tinat51796 which essential oils are you using?

@looking4better I'm not sure if you mean what company or what specific oils. I use Young Living essential oils and I alternate between what oils I use at night. Lavender, Cedarwood,,Vetiver are some of my favorites. There are also several blends from Young Living that I really like.
  • tinat51796
    Options

@KANGOOJUMPS we have found that essential oils really help cut down on snoring and helps improve sleep for all of us. You don't want to ruin a perfectly good pot!
  • jjejjtu
    Options
    @strifechick that's a bummer, but maybe (hopefully) your body just needs a couple days to adjust to new medication and then it will work like a dream (pun intended!).

@tinat51796 I was interested in which specific oils you were using. I've tried lavender in the past, but not the other two. Definitely interested in trying something new that doesn't involve a prescription.

@Vikka_V Hang in there! Hopefully you will sleep tonight!
  • strifechick
    Options
    Ugh woke up with another massive migraine. I don't think I'm gonna try that medicine anymore, I'm not really getting much more sleep than usually, maybe like an hour, but I feel so much worse in the morning I have to stay just laying in the dark for hours cause of the migraine. So not worth the trade off.
  • tinat51796
    Options
    @looking4better I sent you a PM