Self sabotage arghhh

Options
I've done really we'll losing weight and have lost over 7st. Having hast major surgeries on my spine several medical conditions and deal with chronic pain daily. I signed up for this app to lose the last part of my weight along side a gym for gentle exercise. However food wise I do really well for so long then seem to go and self sabotage it's almost like a psychological game so a can't get to my goal weight!!! My weight is up 9lb down 10 arghh help please? X

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    What is the trigger that causes you to go and 'self-sabotage'? Is it something you eat, or the way you feel, or what...?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with a therapist? That might be helpful in the case of self-sabotage. You might have to figure out why you're doing it and how you can find other coping methods, before you can begin to change the behavior. :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i remember talking about this long ago on another diet forum. How many of us are serial dieters and really don't know what we'd do with ourselves if we got to goal We admitted that we were addicted to the achievement aspect of weight loss and when we neared our goals..we'd sabotage ourselves to keep in that familiar space of dieting.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    i remember talking about this long ago on another diet forum. How many of us are serial dieters and really don't know what we'd do with ourselves if we got to goal We admitted that we were addicted to the achievement aspect of weight loss and when we neared our goals..we'd sabotage ourselves to keep in that familiar space of dieting.

That's interesting! I never thought of that. I've been maintaining at goal for over 5 years and have never sabotaged myself. There are so many new ways to achieve once you reach your weight loss goal. I have nutrition goals, health goals, body composition goals and fitness goals, and all kinds of other things to work toward, so that "achievement aspect" is always available, even though I don't need to worry about weight loss anymore. But I can see how some people might find it anti-climactic when they finally get there and go, "now what?" or if they fear taking the next step (maintenance) because they've never tried it before. Change is scary!

Thanks for the new perspective!