Working out while recovering from a cold

Options
So for about the past week I have been dealing with a cold but the past couple days have been feeling better. Yesterday I decided that I had to workout. I went to the gym and did my normal 2 hours and actually felt good while I was doing it and for some time after. About 3-4 hours later it hit me like a brick and I ended up in bed feeling pretty lousy again. By the end of the evening and this morning I feel better again. Any advice or reasons you guys can think of for this? I want to go back to the gym today but do not want a repeat of yesterday.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Stay home until you are better. No one wants your germs at the gym.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks but I'm not contagious. I said I am recovering and looking for advice on why I may have crashed after the workout.
  • mhwitt74
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I do agree with you though about the germs
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I am getting over a stupid cold - two weeks of gross congestion. I skipped four days of workouts and then dialed back my workouts this week. Take it easy. You don't want to end up with something worse (ex. Bronchitis, sinus infection, etc).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You crashed after the workout because you are recovering from a cold, so your body is not 100% yet. Even when you "think" you're completely over it, your body may not be. It can take my body 3-4 weeks to fully recover even after a "short" cold that gets me down for just a few days. You may need to adjust the length and intensity for sale but longer.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Total stress on your body is what you need to think about. If your spouse stresses you out, you can't workout as much. If work stresses you out, you can't workout as much. If you're sick, you can't workout as much. If you go down too far down the overstressing road, the penalty gets exponentially higher.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    There may have also been some dehydration involved. Do less for a few days, and drink more.

I'm also getting over a bad cold, while preparing for a race next weekend. I'm still drinking a lot of chicken soup, tea, orange juice and eating fresh oranges. They help. The first couple of days that I was running again, I found I could run just fine, but would cough a lot afterwards. It is less now, and I was able to stop all cold medicines, but I'm glad that at this point in my training, the runs are short and easy and I'm not doing any cross training but walking.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'm probably one of the first people to work out harder when I feel a cold/flu coming on. Sometimes it backfires on me and kicks me down but sometimes I manage to burn it off and keep right on going. The family will wonder why I didn't get sick lol. It just depends on the person, but when recovering from a serious cold/flu that actually kept me from working out, I'll start back slowly at first. I take a lot of Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, etc. daily anyway, and I believe that helps (both with building muscle, and immune health), but it's not required.
  • mhwitt74
    Options
    I'm probably one of the first people to work out harder when I feel a cold/flu coming on. Sometimes it backfires on me and kicks me down but sometimes I manage to burn it off and keep right on going. The family will wonder why I didn't get sick lol. It just depends on the person, but when recovering from a serious cold/flu that actually kept me from working out, I'll start back slowly at first. I take a lot of Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, etc. daily anyway, and I believe that helps (both with building muscle, and immune health), but it's not required.

This has been the approach that I have taken most of the time and like you it usually works. Just this time it didn't. I increased my fluids and like I said I was feeling better. Took today off and will try again tomorrow.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    When it gets you down, it gets you down. Work back into it slowly. Feel better!
  • mhwitt74
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I took today off and will try again tomorrow. I'll just tone down the intensity for the next couple of workouts.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Like the person above, I usually take supplements and am able to fight through a 'getting sick' period. This week it got me and I have not been to the gym since Saturday. It's kind of killing me not to go, but this time around I'm actually letting my body fully rest since I think it needs to. Every day I wake up, I'm like...today??!! I know how you feel. Good luck! Hope you recover soon!!
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Like the person above, I usually take supplements and am able to fight through a 'getting sick' period. This week it got me and I have not been to the gym since Saturday. It's kind of killing me not to go, but this time around I'm actually letting my body fully rest since I think it needs to. Every day I wake up, I'm like...today??!! I know how you feel. Good luck! Hope you recover soon!!

I could have written this. I've not worked out all week (except getting in my hourly steps on my Fitbit, I figure I need that to be healthy). I'm doing fairly well, and tomorrow I'm taking a short yoga class and going to my private ice skating lesson...I hope that goes OK so I can get back to "normal." It is amazing how much I miss working out, even though a couple years ago I didn't work out at all.