Annual Physical

Options
I have my annual physical on April 28th. It's a mini-goal for me weight-wise. I'm 202 now and would like to be around 195. Not a big deal, and not specifically why I'm here.

I would love to Ace my blood work test! Obviously with eating healthy and losing weight my blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar will be improved over last year (they werent that high, but if I have lost 25lbs...)

With a month left, do you all have tips? Should I be researching a supplement? I'm excited about this physical and want to cover all bases. Thanks!!!

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I wouldn't be going down a supplement route.
    Sounds like you've done an incredible job so far so keep up what you're doing.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I wouldn't be going down a supplement route.
    Sounds like you've done an incredible job so far so keep up what you're doing.

Thanks. I feel like a high school kid cramming for finals hahaha. I know I've done the world but would love an A instead of a B!!!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Nah - just go into it knowing you're healthier from diet and exercise - and then you'll see what a difference it makes in your results. :)
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    I have my annual physical on April 28th. It's a mini-goal for me weight-wise. I'm 202 now and would like to be around 195. Not a big deal, and not specifically why I'm here.

I would love to Ace my blood work test! Obviously with eating healthy and losing weight my blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar will be improved over last year (they werent that high, but if I have lost 25lbs...)

With a month left, do you all have tips? Should I be researching a supplement? I'm excited about this physical and want to cover all bases. Thanks!!!

Weight loss, products're scams!
  • TheRambler
    Options

Ohhh. I don't mean magic pills. I was thinking vitamins. I take a daily, but not sure if it's enough. I guess I will find out!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing! Your doctor will be impressed that you weigh less and are healthier than last year, rather than vice versa. They don't see that a lot :wink:
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

Ohhh. I don't mean magic pills. I was thinking vitamins. I take a daily, but not sure if it's enough. I guess I will find out!!

That's good :) but vitamins aren't for, weight loss either just; a caloric deficit!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Don't stress too much about it you coukd up your blood pressure. ;)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Just a warning, they might not have improved. If this happens, try not to be disappointed and keep in mind all that you've accomplished!
  • TheRambler
    Options
    Thanks for the advice !! My numbers were never bad, just not good. I have to admit, I'd be disappointed if they weren't good. Human nature. I will still keep moving forward, though. I have a wedding to go to end of May and I want to look GQ!!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My doctor != your doctor. That being said, I went to see mine last week for a check-up, six months after he'd told me I needed to lose weight to help manage my circulatory issues. When I got on the scale and he saw a 44-lb reduction*, he was floored. In his words, "You don't realize how phenomenal this is." Long story short, he told me that he'll tell patients who need to lose that they need to. And the vast majority? A few gain. Many stay the same. Some drop 5-10 lbs in a year." Oh and my BP numbers are down from 130/90 to 125/85.

In other words, OP, you're doing fine and the numbers should show it!

*Poster started at a 43 BMI. Results may not be typical...
  • TheRambler
    Options
    Great results!!!!!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't know what 25 lb of weight loss through calorie limits and exercise did to my blood work, but 93 lb of weight loss yanked my blood pressure down to nearly low and slowed my resting heart rate to 50.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the advice !! My numbers were never bad, just not good. I have to admit, I'd be disappointed if they weren't good. Human nature. I will still keep moving forward, though. I have a wedding to go to end of May and I want to look GQ!!!

Good. :smile:

I only commented because I had the opposite experience most people have had. My numbers were amazing while I was overweight/obese and eating mostly fast food. As my weight decreased and my diet drastically improved, my numbers actually increased. I was disappointed and still am a bit. However, based on my genetics it's not surprising, and I take it now as reinforcement that these changes were especially necessary.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires extra supplements, a daily multivitamin is sufficient. I have one of those and take additional vitamin C, iron and zinc daily. It is a pain, to be honest. Just keep doing what you are doing.
    I had my annual employee physical and labs this week and my weight was down a pound from last year, BP was the same. I expect the labs to be similar and well on the normal ranges. My doctor will have me do more tests directly related to my condition and advise changes accordingly.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Just keep doing what you're doing! Your doctor will be impressed that you weigh less and are healthier than last year, rather than vice versa. They don't see that a lot :wink:

That's true - my doctor never told me outright that I needed to lose weight, but then she knew I was well aware that I was overweight (obese, in fact) and hadn't lost any so perhaps she didn't see the point.

When I went for my physical last year I'd lost 30lbs, and she said to me "I wish all my patients who wanted to lose weight could just get on and do it like you have!" I guess it's not a common sight.

I'm excited for this summer when I go back and will have lost at least 30 more! I'll be in a normal BMI range by then (currently 6lbs away). :)

OP, it sounds like you're on the right track and are doing well - as others have said, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. I'm sure your doctor will be pleased with you even if there isn't much actual change in your numbers!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Mine were not as good as I anticipated. However my doc sat down and went through the results. I was eating too much saturated fat and it showed.

So even if you don't get your A, learn to improve. Congratulations on your loss!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change anything additional now. I believe that you will get valuable information by seeing what impact your weight loss has had on your various health markers. With that knowledge in hand, you and your doctor will be in a better position to make an informed decision about what, if anything, you need to do differently to continue on your path to better health.
  • TheRambler
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

That's true - my doctor never told me outright that I needed to lose weight, but then she knew I was well aware that I was overweight (obese, in fact) and hadn't lost any so perhaps she didn't see the point.

When I went for my physical last year I'd lost 30lbs, and she said to me "I wish all my patients who wanted to lose weight could just get on and do it like you have!" I guess it's not a common sight.

I'm excited for this summer when I go back and will have lost at least 30 more! I'll be in a normal BMI range by then (currently 6lbs away). :)

OP, it sounds like you're on the right track and are doing well - as others have said, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. I'm sure your doctor will be pleased with you even if there isn't much actual change in your numbers!

Congrats on being so close!!!! How exciting for you.
  • TheRambler
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    I wouldn't change anything additional now. I believe that you will get valuable information by seeing what impact your weight loss has had on your various health markers. With that knowledge in hand, you and your doctor will be in a better position to make an informed decision about what, if anything, you need to do differently to continue on your path to better health.

VERY true and smart. Thanks!