How did you stop overeating ?

Options
2»

Replies

• yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had issues like this, but it was directly and entirely related to boredom eating. I can't sit through a movie or football game without something to drink or eat. What I did to avoid this, is just got myself busy.
    This is why I workout after work, and take my time too, so that when I get home I eat dinner and its already bed time.
    However I'd be interested if any of you have tips on how to make this fix more sustainable.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had issues like this and I discovered it was because I was trying to eat too few calories for what I burned, while my body was trying to eat what I burned. I figured out my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and then changed my macros to include a LOT more protein and the cravings for the sugar and donuts went way down (though I do still eat them sometimes - just never more than one at a time). I also made it a hard and fast rule for myself that I do not drink soda or juice or any sugared drinks (other than coffee) at all except on special occasions (I.E. less than once a month). The emotional eating and constantly thinking about food has turned into logging and keeping my protein and macros balanced.
  • untameddestiny
    untameddestiny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm also an emotional and boredom eater. And find it hard to stay full with a healthy meal for long. Honestly though, what helps me a lot is logging but to fight off the hunger i try to eat 5 times a day and it'll be homemade, unprocessed stuff. I eat more now than I did before and intake less calories. I've also just got out of a emotionally abusive relationship which had me eating terrible for a month after, but during that time I thought a lot about that relationship and everything that was said still haunts me but it's also motivated the crap out of me. I say, if it helps you with motivation use what your bf did to you as fuel and just log your meals. I just started but I've already lost 7 lbs In 2 1/2 weeks.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I started logging my binges and over eating. That opened my eyes.

See, I'm always scared to. It makes me panic more, and really want to eat. I'm slowly getting better, but in my head it feels like I failed worse if I see it, vs if it's hidden. I know that's part of my problem.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you're overeating and eating as a way to deal with stress, you might find it helpful to understand why you're doing it and learn other ways to cope. There are lots of good ideas in this thread, but if you need more help:

If you're a student, you may want to check your university's health and wellness options - many offer free counseling sessions and support groups. They can help with overeating and emotional eating.
    Therapy using a therapist you find yourself (psychology.com has a good listing by location of mental health professionals and their specialties) could also be helpful if you can afford it or if you have insurance that covers it.

Cognitive behavioral therapy - try the Beck Diet Solution book- for a low-cost, easy to understand set of techniques to change how you're eating and interacting with food. It's not a diet, it just helps you change your behaviors surrounding food and eating.
  • DaniG_1987
    DaniG_1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One thing I've done that has really helped me is to eat breakfast and then plan my week of meals out on a Saturday or Sunday and write out the ingredients and the exact amount I need. (I also use this time to double check that I don't already have those ingredients at my house first.) Then I take the list and go shopping for them on Sunday (we also do 4 meals with Hello Fresh--so I mostly shop for breakfasts (I eat the same breakfast every day), lunches (I rotate between 3 or 4 things) and 3 or 4 dinners). When I am shopping I only look for things that are on the list and I get as close to the amount for the recipe as possible. This helps me estimate the number of calories for each meal and know the exact amount of food I need to buy (no food waste, no extra food to over eat). I have found that since I'm planning meals when I'm not super hungry and craving junk food, I typically plan healthier things. While at the story only looking for the meat / produce I need helps me avoid the temptation to go near junk food isles. If I don't have the junk food at my house, I'm not going to be able to eat it. I've completely noticed a difference in how much I eat between days that I have planned out and days likes yesterday when we ordered the only thing available (pizza) at our monthly bar trivia event.

Now, I'm not going to lie to you. A few weeks ago I listened to a podcast that talked about the history of Ben and Jerrys and I couldn't stop thinking about their Phish Food ice cream. After 3 days of really wanting it I decided to add it to the list with the explicit rule that I could only eat it if it stayed within my 1280 calories for the day. I now have a pint sitting in my freezer and on days where I have calories leftover and the ice cream falls within those calories, I'll measure out that many calories worth of ice cream and it tastes AMAZING, better than if I just ate the whole thing in one sitting because I get just a taste of it. However, if my calories are done for the day I don't get to have the ice cream. Part of it is also making the conscious decision that losing weight and being healthier is more important to you then caving in to what you want all the time. In a way you have to treat your hunger like a child and you have to be the firm and strict parent. You also have to learn the difference between feeling like you are hungry and your body actually needing food.
  • FindingAwesome
    FindingAwesome Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    As with a lot of posters... I started adjusting my quantities once I realized how much they cost me in terms of calories.

I'm not always perfect, but if I log my food as I go throughout the day, or ahead of time, then I am aware of how much "room" I have left in my budget.

At that point... When I feel a need to soothe myself with food, I am forced to make a conscious decision... If that food forces me over the budget, I ask myself...

Am I choosing this food over the success of my goal?
    Am I choosing this food over the progress I've made?
    Will I be able to offset these calories with addition exercise?

Sometimes I choose the food... But it's happening less and less.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I learned to eat FOOD for strength and not junk. Because our bodies have difficulty regularly sugar in the morning I eat protein for breakfast, numerous veggies (but no oil) off of the salad bar at lunch and typically homemade collard, bean, meat soup at night. You don't just learn that crappy tasting Pop tarts or steamed pudding are 300 calories or 17 carbs, you learn that some food has lots of sodium in in that will eventually cause your blood vessels to blow and avoid it. I am always SHOCKED at how HAPPY eating for strength makes me feel and wonder if many folks are overfed and undernourished. I keep notes and noted that my fasting blood sugar dropped 70 points in 2 weeks. That's worth it if you want to live a long life. I've always been very active so I don't worry about that. I'm taking photos and measurements in centimeters form the back side of the tape measure tonight in order to compare the before and after. Eventually you realize that you can only attract someone as healthy as you are, so you work very hard at becoming healthy. Some day you will look back at your old loves and wonder if they were even the same gender that you are attracted to. Because its Lent and I will be continually reminded of the seasons, I disciplining myself to a very high standard to see how it will impact my health. that 70 point blood sugar drop in 2 weeks was astounding evidence of success.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    The biggest change was my thinking! Without that I would have failed.

Number one was I felt horrible, I'd just been diagnosed with tachycardia(resting heartrate ove 100), when I asked what I could do, doc said lose weight. I don't know why but I was really afraid and my heart constantly thumping around 110 BPM reinforced it. I thought I was dying and I used that fear.

I also threw out all the junk food. All of it and most everything in the cupboards, gone. I knew I would not diet and be successful. I had to change everything I ate. Today I let some junk in, after reaching the goal.

Best wishes to you.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I pre-log my week; I have to plan dinners for a family of 4, so logging the whole week on Sunday night helps plan my meals and plan what I need to buy to prepare family meals during the week.

I also put my plate on a food scale and serve myself that way.

I also tend to drink water if I start to feel "snacky" during the day. This helps me figure out if I'm thirsty, bored, or hungry. After dinner, I drink hot caffeine free tea to curb sweet cravings.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Have you considered seeing a therapist about it?