Externalize temptations to overcome them.

This suggestion develops a conversation I had with a friend. He lives alone and struggles with the temptations of cheap pizza and cheap wine.

He's actually managed to stay sober for months at a time in recent years, which he is proud of. But, despite having gotten his weight down to a healthy BMI with exercise (from painting his house) and a calorie deficit (which was accidental), he's regained weight and is now in the overweight BMI.

Recently he told me of purchasing a little plush doll in the form of a devil. He keeps it in his car.
Whenever he is tempted to pull in at the cheap pizza shop or the Jack In The Box, he speaks to the devil and accuses it of being the source of the temptation to consume the calories he doesn't need. He's proudly told me that it works. By externalizing the temptation and accusing it as an enemy, he's been able to resist the pizza and the burger.

Before creating this discussion, I searched and found no occurrence of "externalize temptation" on mfp, so I don't think this topic has been discussed before. Using google, I found that the concept is used in modern psychotherapy and counseling practices.

I offer this as a tool in your toolbox to deal with the temptations of food during your weight-loss journey.

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    I don't see how it wouldn't work. It's working in politics, religions, economics, etc...anything that's not going your way can be attributed to one or more irrelevant factors.

Personally I blame the foods for being too tasty. D@mn foods.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    It's definitely a unique way to handle his situation! I am personally more pro yelling at myself than at external forces, but if it works it works.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I think the conscious acknowledgement of the temptation is the key. Whether you just acknowledge it to yourself or direct it at something else... it's the awareness that's important. I think.

But then again, what the hell do I know?
  • LaauraLoses
    LaauraLoses Posts: 29 Member
    I don't think it would be good for me. I blame myself for the bad things I do, blaming something else would just mean I get to do them without feeling guilty I think
  • schwich13
    schwich13 Posts: 31 Member
    edited March 2017
    I get it...not to blame someone else, but to yell at the temptation and say no out loud to it. I can see how this could be a good tool.
    Thanks for yet another help for us!