Steady Weight-I think I hit a wall

I have lost 12 pounds since January 8th, but I find that the last couple of weeks I yo-yo between weight. I will go up and down 1-2 pounds. Anyone have any suggestions, I feel like I hit a wall with weight loss. I am eating healthier, drinking plenty of water and exercising.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    A week or two without weight loss is pretty common. A plateau is generally considered to be six weeks on plan without weight loss.

Are you consistently meeting your calorie goal? Eating "healthier" isn't going to automatically create weight loss, only a calorie deficit will do that.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Could be any number of things. If you'll unlock your diary, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks around who would be happy to take a look and offer suggestions. Are you weighing, logging, and confirming you are using accurate entries for all of your food? That's usually question #1.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2017
    A week or two without weight loss is pretty common.

Doesn't mean it isn't *puppy* annoying though.

Not arguing with you and not even offering anything helpful, but I've not lost in a week and, all knowledge and rational thought aside, it pisses me off.

To the OP, everything you mentioned is not weight loss related. Eating healthy is great, but won't help lose weight if you are still eating too much. Are you tracking what you eat and how many calories? Weight loss is mostly about eating less calories than you burn, so you need to focus on that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    A week or two without weight loss is pretty common.

Doesn't mean it isn't *puppy* annoying though.

Not arguing with you and not even offering anything helpful, but I've not lost in a week and, all knowledge and rational thought aside, it pisses me off.

To the OP, everything you mentioned is not weight loss related. Eating healthy is great, but won't help lose weight if you are still eating too much. Are you tracking what you eat and how many calories? Weight loss is mostly about eating less calories than you burn, so you need to focus on that.

I hear you and I didn't mean to sound dismissive. :)

I'm maintaining now, but when I was losing I had a few multi-week periods where my weight loss just stopped (the longest was four weeks). Waiting those out can be annoying and discouraging.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'm currently nearly two weeks without a loss on the scale. I get it's frustrating but you do need to give it more time. I know my logging is tighter than a tight thing that's tight so the loss will come, I just have a few mitigating factors and the curse of being female also causing scale issues so patience is required.

So give it a nother week or so before truly letting the frustration set in!
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    It's normal I've learned that weight loss is not linear also learned from super wise users on this site.

One week you may not lose anything next week you could lose 0.2 pounds. The following week you may lose 1 pound, and the week after that you can lose 0.5 pounds, and the following week you could lose 0 pounds .... you get the gist it's not linear :)

I've learned that if you want to control things better I don't do this myself but some users do track the calories they consume and weigh the food they had. That way they're able to know the deficit they'll have at the end of the day. Some users even calorie cycle and still know they'll lose weight at the end of the week (using the calorie they ate predictor). Nothing is ever 100% but they're taking charge.

You'll often read posts on here from users who meticulously count and one day over-eat one day. They'll figure out what they need to do the following day (work out more/ or reduce calories) so the weight gain can be stalled or reduced a bit. Some even accept a pound weight gain and do nothing different. They know they'll work harder the next week. Multiple reasons can count for weight gain or stall water retention, TOM, etc.

I lost 0.2 pounds last week, and 0 the following week I'm okay with it!

Good luck!
  • pinkcar06
    pinkcar06 Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you all for the advice. It's okay Janejellyroll, not at all. I think I need to make some changes and see what happens from there.
  • gnu4liberty
    gnu4liberty Posts: 48 Member
    Try eating a grapefruit for breakfast.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    pinkcar06 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice. It's okay Janejellyroll, not at all. I think I need to make some changes and see what happens from there.
    I think some users might be able to help you out more if you provide some helpful information.

What's your current weight? Height? How many calories do you consume daily? Do you weigh your food? Do you work out? Do you eat any of the calories back from working out?

I know with my eating plan my rate of loss will be either super small or None at all some weeks. I'm taking it slow, but tightening up numbers might help for you.

Thanks,

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    edited March 2017
    I don't lose weight for the two weeks after ovulation. I just don't. It is too difficult to maintain my deficit during that half of my cycle so I set my calories back up to maintenance. Soon after my cycle begins again, I hit a record low weight. I think I really do lose fat during that time (higher calorie needs have been documented during this cycle phase) but gain water at the same time. Without the extra water, the fat loss appears "out of nowhere".